1. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 May '11 16:10
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Only at after all the above has been done, do you switch on the box.
    There's another optional step that can be done firstly. Get the computer to analyse your game and highlight positions where either side missed a big improvement *but* don't show the better move yet. Then go over these positions and see if you can find the better move having been given the big hint that something much better is available. The Fritz GUI supports this kind of training.
  2. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    07 May '11 16:29
    These sorts of training questions are good, but I think a concentrated, deep analysis of the entire game will have a longer term value to the improving player.

I would suggest taking the training questions generated via the box and running through them like tactics problems in a seperate database.
  3. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 May '11 16:41
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I think a concentrated, deep analysis of the entire game will have a longer term value to the improving player.
    I wasn't suggesting removing any of your steps, I said "another optional step". And if they're going to be tested on such tactics, doing so as part of the game analysis makes most sense since it is useful to compare what was being thought about during the actual game. Of course, the position can also be kept for later testing too.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 May '11 17:15
    I'm thinking that playing good chess requires an aweful lot of work. I suppose that memorizing tactics like the queen sac greenpawn brought up makes for less work if you have the brain to recall these kinds of situations that shows up when the stars align.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '11 19:031 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Robbie...Robbie....Robbie.

How could you miss the pseudo Queen sac.

[fen]r3k2r/pppn1p2/4p3/3pPP2/3P4/1NP1P1p1/PP4Bq/R1BQ1K2 b kq - 0 1[/fen]
    18...Qh1+ as you said simply wins.

It's the first combination in.....

http://www.redhotpawn.com/blog/blogread.php?blogpostid=51

I missed mine OTB in 1977 so you might learn from it.

G. Chandler - one full tournament point and 34 years.

[b]CHECK ALL CHECKS
    (...and read the blog) 😉[/b]
    How could you miss the pseudo Queen sac.

fear GP dude! i looked at it but i was a little scared and no chess player should be
    overcome with fear. Had i looked at the function of the pieces rather than their value,
    this would not have been a problem, but we are human!
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '11 19:05
    Originally posted by tharkesh
    hallo,

thanks for the game. when did you see, you missed the sac? 😉

on the minor pieces, i agree with what was said. maybe a rule of thumb, if in doubt again: your bishop was that nice guy for a kingside castled king, since you already put so many moves into getting it there. plus, the knight was kind of underpositioned (only six squares to attack) a ...[text shortened]... advice and of course it is a static advice, which might not apply in the next position...

t.
    thanks for the game. when did you see, you missed the sac

afterwards when i was wondering where i went wrong, your advice is really good and i
    must think deeply about it.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '11 19:09
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Hi Robbie,

I also enjoyed your annotations, very entertaining!

But about move 10, Robbie says, "Now i was faced with the problem of which piece to capture with. I have envisioned that me dark squared bishop will remain passive for some time, therfore i chose him. [b]Even yet i am not sure if this was the right decision.
    "

When you're not sure of ...[text shortened]... didn't pick up on it. (Yeah, I know, having to stoop to using one of those evil engines.)[/b]
    actually i cannot use an engine as it keeps crashing my computer, i dont know why, it
    goes on for a little while and then it just turns the whole system off. Anyhow, thanks
    for your kind comments and i do think that engines are very useful in that regard. 🙂
  8. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 May '11 19:38
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    actually i cannot use an engine as it keeps crashing my computer, i dont know why, it
    goes on for a little while and then it just turns the whole system off. Anyhow, thanks
    for your kind comments and i do think that engines are very useful in that regard. 🙂
    What a coincidence, the exact same thing was happening to me recently. It turns out my CPU was overheating because some of my engines were using both of my PC's available cores.

I had to install the CoreTemp utility to see the CPU temps (I use Win 7). (Available here for free.)

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

If the engine was using all available cores, and if I did anything else like even opening several browser windows, the whole thing might just shut off at any time. (This overheating can even damage the CPU.)

The solution is to go into the engine configuration and set the number of threads to fewer than the number of cores in your CPU. (I have a dual core PC, so I set the engine's number of threads to 1. Hopefully your PC doesn't have just 1 core. 😉 )

Problem fixed, no more crashes. 🙂
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '11 19:59
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    What a coincidence, the exact same thing was happening to me recently. It turns out my CPU was overheating because some of my engines were using both of my PC's available cores.

I had to install the CoreTemp utility to see the CPU temps (I use Win 7). (Available here for free.)

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

If the engine was using all available co ...[text shortened]... to 1. Hopefully your PC doesn't have just 1 core. 😉 )

Problem fixed, no more crashes. 🙂
    actually dear Rook i am a bit of a Luddite, I have no idea how to configure the engine. I have an AMD 64 duel core processor so it seems that it would be a very plausible reason as to why the machine was crashing if you also experienced it. I thought it was the hash (like i know what that is), so i reduced it to 192 MB, it was formerly like 300 or something but it made no difference.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree