1. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    15 May '07 19:46
    One of the requirements for a draw is going fifty turns without either side taking a piece. I've gone thirteen turns, but don't see how it's possible to go fifty.

I suppose if both sides were trying different openings, and the other side kept making counter moves for said opening, then it might happen.

I've been through, and am going through many games, and don't have any idea where the game is that has thirteen moves before first blood. I'll look if someone asks.

So how about the rest of you? How close have you come to fifty moves without capturing?
  2. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    15 May '07 19:47
    Originally posted by Daphnes
    One of the requirements for a draw is going fifty turns without either side taking a piece. I've gone thirteen turns, but don't see how it's possible to go fifty.

I suppose if both sides were trying different openings, and the other side kept making counter moves for said opening, then it might happen.

I've been through, and am going through many games ...[text shortened]...

So how about the rest of you? How close have you come to fifty moves without capturing?
    I used to get those a lot on my old chessmaster game
  3. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    15 May '07 19:52
    Really? Were you and your opponent really that defensive when you play? I've had quick and brutal games, and drag out games, but fifty just seems...way out there.
  4. Joined
    29 Sep '06
    Moves
    15 May '07 19:52
    Methinks the 50 move rule applies more often in endgames than openings...
  5. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    15 May '07 19:53
    Originally posted by HeyDreza
    yeah thats what i was going for....
  6. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    15 May '07 19:54
    Originally posted by HeyDreza
    yes....i also get those chessmaster games...about a 10 or so today....
  7. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    15 May '07 19:54
    What's an endgame, exactly?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 May '07 19:58
    What's an endgame, exactly?
    The end of the game 😉

It's when most of the pieces are off the board and the game is just wrapping up.
  9. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 May '07 19:58

I've been through, and am going through many games ...[text shortened]...

The 50 move rule states, 50 moves being made without a pawn moved, or a piece taken. It can be enforced at any point.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 May '07 20:01
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    The 50 move rule states, 50 moves being made without a pawn moved, or a piece taken. It can be enforced at any point.
    Do you have to claim it on 50 moves exactly?.. or can you claim it anytime after the 50 moves have passed?
  11. Joined
    29 Mar '07
    Moves
    15 May '07 20:02
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    Do you have to claim it on 50 moves exactly?.. or can you claim it anytime after the 50 moves have passed?
    I vote we ban ih8sens from the forums
  12. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    15 May '07 20:051 edit
    I think you may have misinterpreted the definition of the 50-move rule. The rule applies to any phase of the game, and it's applicable even if many pieces have been captured. In fact, it's more likely to happen later in a game when not many pieces are left on the board.

For example, this recent game between GMs Gata Kamsky and Mickey Adams went 94 moves before a draw was agreed, with only 7 pieces on the board. And if the game had gone on for about 4 more moves, it would have been declared a draw due to the 50-move rule. (The last pawn move was on move 47, and after that, they were basically just moving both knights and kings around on the board ad nauseum.)

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3857
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 May '07 20:05
    Originally posted by Patzergrl
    I vote we ban ih8sens from the forums
    eh??????

A good looking 😛, hard working, highly skilled tactician with plenty of stupid questions to be asked type of person.. and you want to ban me?

What did I do??? 😉
  14. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 May '07 20:06
    You may claim it anytime at or after 50 moves have been made. Some rule books state 40 moves. I think 50 is pretty standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty_move_rule
  15. Joined
    29 Mar '07
    Moves
    15 May '07 20:08
    eh??????

A good looking 😛, hard working, highly skilled tactician with plenty of stupid questions to be asked type of person.. and you want to ban me?

What did I do??? 😉
    We haven't played a third game yet! 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree