1. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    15 May '07 22:07
    This has gone so far off topic...and no one has yet to say how far they've gotten without capturing. Even if it was a misconception, the question still stands I think.
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    15 May '07 22:36
    I don't think I've gotten very far without a capture in my games, but according to Tim Krabbe's Chess Curiosities web site, the record for latest first capture is 72 moves (Meijfroidt - Lenoir, Veurne 2000). In fact, in this game, White lost on time at move 72.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~timkr/records/records.htm#Latest%20first%20capture
  3. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    15 May '07 22:50
    Originally posted by Daphnes
    This has gone so far off topic...and no one has yet to say how far they've gotten without capturing. Even if it was a misconception, the question still stands I think.
    Actually it's right on topic. The rule is 50 moves without capturing not before the first capture. Say you have a King against a King, Knight, Bishop combo but the opponent doesn't know how to corner you. After 50 moves it's a draw. And yes it does happen, especially in amateur games.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree