Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member Steve45
    Garry Kasparov
    03 Jan '13 00:13
    sorry if this is a stupid question friends, but its been bugging me for a long time. Ive just been looking at the most active player of the month table again, and i cant get my head around how someone can make over 1700 moves by january 2nd. I make on average 800 moves per month, but some people are making moves per month that run into the thousands. Just like to know if anyone else has thought the same thing. Ive read so many arguments on the forums about chess robots being used, that i just wondered if these, are those people.
    Apoligies if im offending anyone.

Steve45
  2. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    03 Jan '13 02:32 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by steve45
    sorry if this is a stupid question friends, but its been bugging me for a long time. Ive just been looking at the most active player of the month table again, and i cant get my head around how someone can make over 1700 moves by january 2nd. I make on average 800 moves per month, but some people are making moves per month that run into the thousands. Just l ...[text shortened]... , that i just wondered if these, are those people.

Steve45
    I know some people have a lot of games in progress. I remember one person had over 600 games going. Even playing less than that a person could play that many moves in 2 days if they played several moves in a day on enough games. I think I remember finishing my first game on here in one day because we both continued to play until the game was over.

P.S. I looked it up and I actually finished my first two games here on the same day I started them. One was a short games, but the other was a normal length game.

Game 8125715

Game 8125746
  3. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    03 Jan '13 02:37
    sorry if this is a stupid question friends, but its been bugging me for a long time. Ive just been looking at the most active player of the month table again, and i cant get my head around how someone can make over 1700 moves by january 2nd. I make on average 800 moves per month, but some people are making moves per month that run into the thousands. Just l ...[text shortened]... , that i just wondered if these, are those people.

Steve45
    I was looking at MAP tables also, I noted that it was rather unusual to see two non subs in the top 10, and having managed over 800 moves each in a mere two days. I then looked again, and I see that player User 605879 has only ever played the other top 10 MAP User 557694 ....and nearly 1400 times !
    I doubt a robot would have the patience
  4. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    03 Jan '13 19:47

Steve45
    1700 moves in 2 days
    850 moves per day
    16 waking hours
    53.125 moves per hour
    0.89 moves per minute

Easy.
  5. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    03 Jan '13 19:59
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    1700 moves in 2 days
    850 moves per day
    16 waking hours
    53.125 moves per hour
    0.89 moves per minute

Easy.
    0.89 of a move?
    Is that when you haven't quite thought it through properly?
  6. Standard member Steve45
    Garry Kasparov
    03 Jan '13 20:24
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    1700 moves in 2 days
    850 moves per day
    16 waking hours
    53.125 moves per hour
    0.89 moves per minute

Easy.
    well all i can say is, there cant be much thought going into a move, if someone is moving at 0.89 moves per minute, everyday
  7. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    03 Jan '13 20:38 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    0.89 of a move?
    He means it takes a little over a minute for each move. A blitz master could do it easily.

P.S. Don't look for me to make that many moves, however.
  8. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    03 Jan '13 20:45
    well all i can say is, there cant be much thought going into a move, if someone is moving at 0.89 moves per minute, everyday
    Yes, I put a lot of thought in my moves.
  9. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    03 Jan '13 23:40
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    0.89 of a move?
    For me, those feel more like negative moves.
  10. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    03 Jan '13 23:41
    Sure ... but we knew that once we saw 1700 moves in 2 days.
  11. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    05 Jan '13 01:11
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    I was looking at MAP tables also, I noted that it was rather unusual to see two non subs in the top 10, and having managed over 800 moves each in a mere two days. I then looked again, and I see that player User 605879 has only ever played the other top 10 MAP User 557694 ....and nearly 1400 times !
    I doubt a robot would have the patience
    Sounds like someone's playing themselves imo
  12. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    05 Jan '13 01:35
    The guy currently at the top of the list just made 29 moves in 17 minutes, then took a coffee break (15 minutes or so).
  13. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    05 Jan '13 01:37 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    Sounds like someone's playing themselves imo
    Those two have identical sawtooth-pattern graphs, with the teeth pointing in opposite directions. I'm guessing a couple who hardly ever play anyone else.
  14. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    05 Jan '13 03:56
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Those two have identical sawtooth-pattern graphs, with the teeth pointing in opposite directions. I'm guessing a couple who hardly ever play anyone else.
    I think you are playing too many games at once unless you are playing 7 day 14 day timebank. I recommend a limit of 20 games for 3 day 7 day timebank and that will give you more time for your family. Just saying.
  15. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    05 Jan '13 04:29
    Playing at such speed they would never have time to use an analysis board.