Moving your Queen

Moving your Queen

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Slappy slap slap

Under your bed...

Moves
08 May 07

How long do you wait to move your queen? I try not to move her unless threatened. Normally, I start moving her around move 20.

Z8

Moves
08 May 07

FFT = damn cool game.

But back on topic...
There is no hard rule for when to move your queen, just move it when the position says so. This could mean anywhere from move 2 and up. Don't be afraid to use her, after all, she is the strongest piece. The trick is to use all your pieces.

s
Slappy slap slap

Under your bed...

Moves
08 May 07

Originally posted by Zander 88
FFT = damn cool game.

But back on topic...
There is no hard rule for when to move your queen, just move it when the position says so. This could mean anywhere from move 2 and up. Don't be afraid to use her, after all, she is the strongest piece. The trick is to use all your pieces.
True, but I don't like her coming out in the beginning. Normally, she gets knocked around. I should say not to advance her past the third row anyways. Without support from the minor pieces, she might be strong but rarely will she deliver a mate by herself (unless the king is trapped by his own pieces, like a castled, unprotected king).

FFT = damn cool game, what's that mean?

Z8

Moves
08 May 07

Originally posted by slappy115
True, but I don't like her coming out in the beginning. Normally, she gets knocked around. I should say not to advance her past the third row anyways. Without support from the minor pieces, she might be strong but rarely will she deliver a mate by herself (unless the king is trapped by his own pieces, like a castled, unprotected king).

FFT = damn cool game, what's that mean?
Final Fantasy Tactics, It's in your profile, never played it? haha.

She usually does get knocked around, but sometimes it's worth it to induce weaknesses. Remember, it all depends on the position. You will see a lot of main line theory that bring the queen in early, even if she does get kicked around. Also, last thing you should worry about is mate. Most cases, your opponent is smart enough to deflect any serious mating threats. So, worry about positional factors, and plan on using your queen. Don't be afraid to commit.

s
Slappy slap slap

Under your bed...

Moves
08 May 07

Final Fantasy Tactics, It's in your profile, never played it? haha.

She usually does get knocked around, but sometimes it's worth it to induce weaknesses. Remember, it all depends on the position. You will see a lot of main line theory that bring the queen in early, even if she does get kicked around. Also, last thing you should worry about is mate. Mos ...[text shortened]... So, worry about positional factors, and plan on using your queen. Don't be afraid to commit.
True, I've always tried to control the board without her in the beginning. Later in the game I'm not afraid to use her especially when I get to line up the two rooks and the queen on one file. I just prefer to use her later in the game.

Don't get me wrong, there are times when I do bring her out early. I call those queen stompings. You get your queen on the main diagonal or something else. I'll post a game where my opponent blundered and it went all down hill from there.

Yeah, FFT is an awesome game. I haven't played it in ages though.

s
Slappy slap slap

Under your bed...

Moves
08 May 07

Game 3455967

Z8

Moves
08 May 07

True, I've always tried to control the board without her in the beginning. Later in the game I'm not afraid to use her especially when I get to line up the two rooks and the queen on one file. I just prefer to use her later in the game.

Don't get me wrong, there are times when I do bring her out early. I call those queen stompings. You get your quee ...[text shortened]... down hill from there.

Yeah, FFT is an awesome game. I haven't played it in ages though.
You are generally right though. In the opening, the center and development are most important.

Z8

Moves
08 May 07

Game 3455967
Yes, that one is a recurring tactic. You made his demise nice and quick.

s
Slappy slap slap

Under your bed...

Moves
08 May 07

You are generally right though. In the opening, the center and development are most important.
I was just curious on other players' thoughts on using your queen early in the game. If you can get a positional advantage or even throw your opponent into a defensive corner using the queen, go for it.

My favorite opponents are the ones who bring out the queen and go for the quick mate. By the time they know what happened, their queen and their bishop are up against two pawns, a bishop, a knight, and possibly the queen.

s
Slappy slap slap

Under your bed...

Moves
08 May 07

Yes, that one is a recurring tactic. You made his demise nice and quick.
Yeah, it was one of those, "Will he go for the bait?" moves.