1. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 16:47
    I thought some people here might like to know that RHP Players get around the net. I recently reviewed "Chess Explained: The Modern Benoni" and Jeremy Silman posted it on his website at www.jeremysilman.com. I hope to write more reviews so I certainly welcome any comments good or bad.
  2. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 17:12
    Nice job. Clean, concise, no punches pulled.
  3. London
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 17:19
    Good review - contains interesting info about the opening.
  4. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 19:46
    Originally posted by Mahout
    Good review - contains interesting info about the opening.
    Thanks boys, really appreciate the feedback.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 02:28
    The fact that you were very familiar with other books on the Benoni was a big plus for your review. Since I do play the Benoni upon occasion, your review was quite helpful in my determining whether to purchase the book in question.
  6. London
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 17:321 edit
    Just out of interest I was wondering if you'd ever had a look at Richard Pallisers book (publsihed by Batsfords) on the Modern Benoni and if so what you thought of it.

Also - on the subject of reviews - I've been interested in reviewing a couple of books myself. With so many books I find writing a review helps to focus my attention and adds another layer of interest. In time I plan to create a chess book review blog/website but in the meantime I've submitted a couple to cludi's website: http://www.clausjensen.com and I would imagine he'd be delighted to post your review/s there too if you're interested in submitting.
  7. Standard memberwargamer66
    Steve B.
    Salt Lake City
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 19:18
    Your review is better than Donaldson's 🙂
  8. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 21:19
    Originally posted by Mahout
    Just out of interest I was wondering if you'd ever had a look at Richard Pallisers book (publsihed by Batsfords) on the Modern Benoni and if so what you thought of it.

Also - on the subject of reviews - I've been interested in reviewing a couple of books myself. With so many books I find writing a review helps to focus my attention and adds another layer ...[text shortened]... gine he'd be delighted to post your review/s there too if you're interested in submitting.
    I've seen the book, even picked it up a few times to check it out at bookstores, but I never bought it. I can't remember how it was, but if I didn't buy it, maybe that says something. That whole revealed series bothered me a little bit in general. They were all very small books with big print to begin with, and I think the format was rather irksome. The chapters were things like, "Heroes and Villains", "Introduction", "What's hot.". Maybe it's a good book for an introduction to an opening, but for advanced players it's just rather silly. I felt like with chapters like that, the books don't flow very well, and maybe even left out whole varations. The problem with most chess books these days is that there are rarely books that come out that fill a gap or are something special. Alot of books are just rehashes, or worse versions of books already out. For instance, with the Modern Benoni, if you're writing a book on that opening, it better have something to offer more than John Watson's book, or else it's not worth even writing it. I think that the whole "revealed" series is a waste of paper, because if you are looking to learn a new opening, the "Starting Out: ...." series are probably (note that this is here) a better choice. And even for strong players, maybe it's better to just pick up a serious book on the topic, since you are probably familiar with the opening even if you haven't played it.
  9. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 21:19
    Originally posted by wargamer66
    Your review is better than Donaldson's 🙂
    Haha thanks. If only I was as good a chess player.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree