1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 05:452 edits
    This is last nights OTB game in Columbia, SC against Gilbert Holmes, USCF rating 1860.
    Instead of those G/45 games that I have been playing in Evans, Georgia this game was G/90. My USCF rating has been dropping like a rock because of those G/45 time controls which doesn't give me enough time to think. My regular USCF rating is now 1542 and this game gives me a chance to earn some of those points back.

I have reached the following position as black and it is my move. He is attacking my bishop and I could just move it back to f8 and he would capture my pawn by Rxf4 and the game would be drawish in my opinion and I want to win. I then get this brilliant idea that maybe I do not have to move my bishop right now and continue with...

2. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 06:20
    Cheeky none the less. If I had the patience to go through all my games I could come up with probably 10-20 games just like this where I was on cloud 9 thinking I was so clever and then the proverbial bomb gets dropped on me.

If I ever happen to deliver to SC perhaps we can meet up for a game.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 06:49
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    Cheeky none the less. If I had the patience to go through all my games I could come up with probably 10-20 games just like this where I was on cloud 9 thinking I was so clever and then the proverbial bomb gets dropped on me.

If I ever happen to deliver to SC perhaps we can meet up for a game.
    The chess club meets at a United Methodist Church is Columbia. The one in Evans meets at a public Library and it closes at 8 PM. That is the reason they play the G/45 games, but it is closer to where I live. I hope I can get better at thinking faster with accuracy.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 22:44
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    . My regular USCF rating is now 1542 and this game gives me a chance to earn some of those points back.

Your USCF rating is way too high.
  5. e4
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 01:33
    We all have brilliant ideas.

C.Willman - GC Edinburgh League 2004 (or there abouts.)

Black to play

This was the intended plan.

This is what happened.

6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 03:51
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Your USCF rating is way too high.
    Well, that's another loss, so my rating is going lower. My floor is supposed to be 1500. At the rate I'm going I'll be there very soon. I hope I start playing better before it gets there. I have to stop overlooking these simple tactics.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 03:55
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    We all have brilliant ideas.

C.Willman - GC Edinburgh League 2004 (or there abouts.)

[fen]3r2k1/pp2Qp1p/2pP2p1/2n5/5Pq1/2PR4/P1P2P1P/2B2K2 b - - 0 1[/fen]
    Black to play

This was the intended plan.

[pgn]
    [FEN "3r2k1/pp2Qp1p/2pP2p1/2n5/5Pq1/2PR4/P1P2P1P/2B2K2 b - - 0 1"]

1... Nxd3 2. Qxd8+ Kg7 3. cxd3 Qd1+ 4. Kg2 Qg4+ 5. Kf1 Qd1+ 6. Kg2 {p ...[text shortened]... efended.} 2. Qe8+ Kg7 3. Qe5+ {I resigned - White has now QxN and I've chucked it.} [/pgn]
    Have you eliminated the tactical oversights from your OTB play now?
  8. e4
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 15:261 edit
    🙂

To be honest I have spun that many lost games by tactical play I
    don't mind giving one back every now and then.
    I'm well ahead in swindling wins and draws from losses, well ahead.

There is a wee piece of background.
    My opponent was the Scottish International player Carey Willman.
    (another plus for women's chess, she has played in a few Olympiads.) 🙂

It was a league match and I glanced at the boards to my left and right.
    I did not like what I saw so the decision to suddenly go for the win (I had been
    under the cosh the whole game and did not serve to draw it.) was based on the
    match position.

The irony is that the two boards I looked at my team players
    scored 1½ and if I recall we sneaked home 3½-2½.
  9. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 16:56
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Well, that's another loss, so my rating is going lower. My floor is supposed to be 1500. At the rate I'm going I'll be there very soon. I hope I start playing better before it gets there. I have to stop overlooking these simple tactics.
    Play some blitz online to get some practice, if you're struggling otb then you might as well get the losses over on the internet...
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Oct '12 00:58
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Play some blitz online to get some practice, if you're struggling otb then you might as well get the losses over on the internet...
    Yes, you are most likely correct. Perhaps, I can come up with a system to think faster too. If I ever enter a real chess tournament again, I am also going to have to start training for physical fitness too, like Bobby Fischer did. Now, I get tired of thinking before one game is over. I can imagine how I will be able to concentrate on my 2nd and 3rd game during a day at a tournament. My doctor has already told me that I need to get some exercise and lose some weight, but now that I am old and retired I have just gotten too lazy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree