Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 25 Jun '11 15:42 / 3 edits
    It was really very fun. We went over how each piece moved and I had her place pawns to all the places a given piece can move on an empty boards from different squares. I told her that when she started to play that she should move her pieces out and have her pieces able to move as many places as possible. We also talked about how we want to control the center four squares as much as possible. The center is the gateway to the board!

We talked about how a bishop can't jump a piece and that you have to move the right pawn to allow the bishop to move. I had her count the squares that each pawn move would allow the bishop or queen to move and she decided that the e pawn is the pawn that should be moved. Then she had to decide how many squares to move the e pawn and she came to the conclusion that the e pawn should be moved two squares.

I then walked her through a very short Petrov's defense with 1.e4 e5 1.Nf3 (explaing that when you develop your pieces you should attack an undefended target) Nf6 (explaining that you don't have to simply defend, but attack a target in reply) 3.Nxe5 Nxe4 4.Qe2 Nf6 (she decided it was a safe place to put the Knight) 5.Nc6+ We then looked at the pieces the Knight was now attacking and that now black's queen is lost. She was very happy that she beat me!

Something I learned from that lesson, 1.e4 really is a very logical move!
  2. 25 Jun '11 15:50
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Something I learned from that lesson, 1.e4 really is a very logical move!
    you should ask her to give lesson 2 soon!
  3. 25 Jun '11 20:12
    I suppose I should clarify learned, what I meant was taken to heart. I've always known it, but I did not feel it. Perhaps some know what I mean.
  4. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    25 Jun '11 20:39
    A future chess star is born!!!!!!
  5. 25 Jun '11 21:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    A future chess star is born!!!!!!
    not with eladar has its teacher
  6. 26 Jun '11 03:41
    It is a very wonderful begining.

Congratulations!!!
  7. 26 Jun '11 18:39 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    not with eladar has its teacher
    I'm not trying to teacher her based so much on how I've played. After all, I taught her to play 1.e4 as her first move!

Yesterday my copy of Mammoth Chess arrived, so I've started her off on the first chapter's checkmates. It seemed to be a bit much for her, especially the smothered mate. But hopefully she learned something from it, such as an unsupported queen can be taken by the queen. If she hasn't learned it yet, at least she's been exposed to it.

I backed off a bit from the book later on that night and we played a game or two of pawn wars. It is really a nice game to learn about pawns and that your moves have a consequence!

After that I let her defile my chess pieces and we played what she wanted to play, checkers!

Thanks Wcoaster and Ketchuplover (a west coaster too!)
  8. 26 Jun '11 19:45
    I'm not trying to teacher her based so much on how I've played. After all, I taught her to play 1.e4 as her first move!

Yesterday my copy of Mammoth Chess arrived, so I've started her off on the first chapter's checkmates. It seemed to be a bit much for her, especially the smothered mate. But hopefully she learned something from it, such as an unsuppo ...[text shortened]... e wanted to play, checkers!

what age is she?
  9. 26 Jun '11 20:00
    Originally posted by trev33
    what age is she?
    She's eleven.

I thought the most impressive thing was that she asked for the lesson. I doubt she will even play in any tournaments, although her eyes did seem to light up when I said that there are all girl tournies. I'm just hoping that one of my kids will be willing to play chess with me in my old age, should I live that long!
  10. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    27 Jun '11 00:58

Yesterday my copy of Mammoth Chess arrived, so I've started her off on the first chapter's checkmates. It seemed to be a bit much for her, especially the smothered mate. But hopefully she learned something from it, such as an unsuppo ...[text shortened]... e wanted to play, checkers!

I'm not a west coaster.
  11. 27 Jun '11 08:37
    She's eleven.

I thought the most impressive thing was that she asked for the lesson. I doubt she will even play in any tournaments, although her eyes did seem to light up when I said that there are all girl tournies. I'm just hoping that one of my kids will be willing to play chess with me in my old age, should I live that long!
    a bit early to be cracking open the books don't you think?
  12. 27 Jun '11 13:32
    I was using it to teach mating patterns.
  13. 27 Jun '11 13:49
    Hi Eladar

This site:

http://www.chesskids.com/newcourse/index.htm

You know I'm not over fond of screen learning but this site is absolutely superb for kids.
    It has been put together by a very experienced chess teacher of children.

Sounds like the page on simple checkmates is what you are after.
    Perhaps you show her the simple mates and then give her the quiz.

http://www.chesskids.com/newcourse/page11.htm

(infact 99% of the grown up's on here should give it a try)
  14. 27 Jun '11 16:01
    I was using it to teach mating patterns.
    teach her how the horsey moves first, eh?

that was about the same time that i learned how the pieces moved... had anyone can tried to show anything from a book they would've got it closed on their face. best to show them how the pieces move in a fun way and hope they take it up later imo.
  15. 27 Jun '11 16:08
    I didn't show her the book. I put the positions on the board.

I'd say get off your high horsey.