Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 01 Jul '07 21:18
    Is 1...b5.
    Does anyone have any ideas regarding this gambit? Anyone played it before?
    I don't come across the English opening often & have just played it twice in 2 G.I.P.
    It looks very natural to me, & perhaps not surpringly white has played 2.cxb5 both times.
    I will update this thread with game details when finished.
  2. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    01 Jul '07 21:36
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Is 1...b5.
    I don't come across the English opening often & have just played it twice in 2 G.I.P.
    It looks very natural to me, & perhaps not surpringly white has played 2.cxb5 both times.
    I play 1...f5.
  3. Standard member Exuma
    Anansi
    01 Jul '07 22:04
    Is 1...b5.
    There are 35 games in the chessgames.com database - (I am not a member yet) with white winning 40% of the games after cxb5. Looks very playable, draws a white pawn away from the center, and possibly a lead in development for black
  4. Standard member anthias
    ambitious player
    01 Jul '07 22:04
    Is 1...b5.
    Sounds like an inferior type of Benko Gambit. Playable of course, but not solid.

Anyway, who am I to say that an opening is bad. Play 1...h6 if it suits you
  5. Standard member anthias
    ambitious player
    01 Jul '07 22:13
    Originally posted by Exuma
    There are 35 games in the chessgames.com database - (I am not a member yet) with white winning 40% of the games after cxb5. Looks very playable, draws a white pawn away from the center, and possibly a lead in development for black
    35 games is not enough to show a correct assesment of an opening.
  6. Standard member Exuma
    Anansi
    01 Jul '07 22:31
    Originally posted by anthias
    35 games is not enough to show a correct assesment of an opening.
    True. But at least there are some games to go look at...
  7. 01 Jul '07 23:37
    I've run into it, but can't find the game right now. Usually it is just an inferior benko, but it is a shocker.
  8. 02 Jul '07 03:53
    i like Nf6 very flexable. a solid defense is the catalan. i wouldn't suggest a reverse sicilian but i've seen a reversed grand prix attack before can be dangerous. and is hard to play against.
  9. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    02 Jul '07 16:36 / 1 edit
    Is 1...b5.
    What about 1. c4 b5 2. e3 as a reply?

(I know e2-e4 is a typical English move at some point in the game, but at such an early stage, it would simply create a very backward d pawn...)

It would be an interesting game, in my opinion.
  10. 02 Jul '07 16:43
    white can immedeatly play e4. he will try to transpose to a bottvinnik position or a maricozy bind. he'll force d4 eventually. if played right.
  11. 02 Jul '07 16:55
    Well, one idea I had was:
    1.c4...b5?!
    2.cxb5...c6
    the point being after
    3.bxc6...Nxc6
    white is up a pawn, but black has a lead in development with the Nc6 & open lines for Q, Bc8 & Ra8.

White to move

This was my original idea for 1...b5 against the English.
    Alas, there really is no pressure on white to take again on c6, so you can get a stuffed QS if he decides to run with the pawn & re-inforce with a4, Nc3, e3/e4 etc.
    So, in short I think that line offering the 2nd pawn is suspect!

I'm now using the other (perhaps more obvious!) reason for the 1...b5 gambit & that is to deflect the c4 pawn away from the center & play an immediate 2...e5 & not worry too much about the b5 pawn. If white tries to defend it - fine, I carry on usual development & re-inforce control of the center.