my theory

my theory

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

k

washington

Moves
28 Sep 06

i think that everyones rating on an internet site is lower than it should be. my reasoning? well you play a lot of games but if you are playing only a certain ammount of games at a time it hinders your rating. i think this is because when you are winning a game people quit moving and move really slowly. but when the game is either persons game or your opponent is winning they will move faster. so you end up finishing more games that you lost in about twice the time it took you to win a game. what do you guys think?

Moves
28 Sep 06

Originally posted by kmac27
i think that everyones rating on an internet site is lower than it should be. my reasoning? well you play a lot of games but if you are playing only a certain ammount of games at a time it hinders your rating. i think this is because when you are winning a game people quit moving and move really slowly. but when the game is either persons game or your opponen ...[text shortened]... e games that you lost in about twice the time it took you to win a game. what do you guys think?
Dont give up the day job.

FL

Moves
28 Sep 06

My theory is that all brontosauruses are thin at one end; much, much thicker in the middle and then thin again at the far end.

k

washington

Moves
28 Sep 06

lol just a thought i always think of new things that are awkward so who knows. 😉

t
King of the Ashes

Trying to rise ....

Moves
28 Sep 06

i think that everyones rating on an internet site is lower than it should be. my reasoning? well you play a lot of games but if you are playing only a certain ammount of games at a time it hinders your rating. i think this is because when you are winning a game people quit moving and move really slowly. but when the game is either persons game or your opponen ...[text shortened]... e games that you lost in about twice the time it took you to win a game. what do you guys think?
With me it depends. I think on average I move more slowly in positions I feel I have an advantage in, as I do not want to squander that advantage. In general, though, I think I slow down my moves in all my games as I struggle through the middle game simply because I wish to give the positions more thought. Not that it does me a lot of good.

Also, I believe that my rating in particular is much higher than it should be. I've just hit a string of good luck lately.

B

Moves
28 Sep 06

Your theory doesn't make any sense. If every player slows down when he is losing it also mean you yourself slow down when losing, so games in a lost position would take as long to complete as won positions.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
28 Sep 06

Actually it may not matter, the question is not one of how quickly you are playing in any particular game, but one of throughput. Even if you are moving slowly in one you are losing provided that you complete games at the same rate (ie 3 wins 2 losses and a draw per day) it won't have any effect on your rating. Basically it is like having 2 production lines, one long and one short, but with one car (or whatever) coming off each one every minute. It's only if you stop altogether in the losing games to see what you can get your rating up to before it crashes that anything really distorting will happen.

TC

Moves
28 Sep 06

But, by that line of thought, when the games you're winning start to end, you'll have a smaller rating, what will result, by the ELO calculations, in a greater increment for the victory.

k

washington

Moves
28 Sep 06

that is a good point. but when i am winning it takes on average 2 weeks or even 2 months longer when i'm winning but when i'm losing i play more games that i lose faster than when i win. so if i win one game and lose one and then i lose another in that position my rating drops. thats what my thinking is wrong. it may or not be correct but i guess you can't really compare it to otb ratings because you play one person at a time and your rating is slowly moving up and down not irradic ones like on ehre when you finish multiple games at the same time.