Nakamura drops Kaspy

Nakamura drops Kaspy

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
22 Dec 11
2 edits

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
22 Dec 11

The post that was quoted here has been removed
It is precisely this beligerance that makes me feel he could still beat most of the top GM's today. I agree, much of what he has said about Karpov over the years has been over the top, Karpov has the best tournament record in the modern era, the statistics speak for themself. However, he had to develop this boarish stubborness to over come Karpov (which he never did convincingly, they were remarkably well matched. Had Karpov been the younger player, things may very well have been different!)

I don't know if i like Kasparov tbh, but i respect his incredible skill at chess! If you look back at some of the previous WC's, it's hard to find a friendly, man of the people champion. Anand is exceptional in this case, but i can't help feeling he'd be more dominant if he was a b@stard.

D

Moves
22 Dec 11
3 edits

rc

Moves
23 Dec 11
1 edit

lady world champion, hard to say why it hasn't occurred, cannot be down to
aggression, chess is an inherently strategic game, not a game of aggression, there are
those that express it through maximality and there are minimalists, to decide a chess
game on the basis of aggression alone, seems somewhat simplistic to me. I am quite
sure that Humpy Koneru or Hou Yifan, would give even the most aggressive male
players a good whuppin, just because they can!

g

Moves
23 Dec 11

Some would say it has

D

Moves
23 Dec 11
1 edit

P

The Ghost Bishop

Moves
23 Dec 11
1 edit

None of those qualities promote expectations of equal competition with men. My personal opinion is that women most certainly are up to the task. The right woman just hasn't risen yet.

Q

e4

Moves
23 Dec 11

So it's sorted then.

We get Mrs Kasparov and Mrs Nakamura to play each other to see
whose husband is the best.

D

Moves
23 Dec 11

e4

Moves
23 Dec 11

So it's sorted then.

We get the Asian girlfiends of Kasparov and Nakamura to play each other
to see whose boyfriend is the best.

rc

Moves
23 Dec 11
2 edits

But general cultural conditioning not to be aggressive has not stopped some women
from playing very aggressive chess???

are we talking of the pinky moves played by timid ladies or are we talking of the
numerous portrayal of aggressive ladies that have entered common culture, Lara Croft
of Tomb Raider fame, the Japanese animators of which there is a series on Film 4 at
the moment where almost every heroine transcends her male counterparts in daring
and bravery, the last Pirates of the Caribbean film where Penelope Cruz was not intent
unless she was slicing and dicing up some poor seaman with the edge of the sword
while Jack Sparrow pranced about, with more mascara, ribbons and effeminate
attributes than an Ottoman Harem!

RJ

Moves
23 Dec 11

This. Extreme results are much more likely to turn up in larger samples. The fact that there are proportionally fewer women GMs simply isn't statistically interesting.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
23 Dec 11

Originally posted by Robin Johnson
Extreme results are much more likely to turn up in larger samples.
Discussed at large, in this article about women's chess.

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/276/1659/1161.full

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
23 Dec 11

Originally posted by joesheppe
"Well let's consider some other WC playing strengths as they progressed towards 50. "
--Nimzo5

And then there's Lasker...
Lasker wasn't superior to Schlecter in 1910 and most likely Pillsbury would have dethroned him prior to 1900 if he hadn't contracted syphillis. Capablanca chewed him up in 1920 at the age of 52. His chessmetrics page would suggest he was strong but fell off pretty rapidly after 1920.

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
23 Dec 11

Originally posted by mikelom
Carlsen clearly commented upon the ability of Kaspar's liveliness and energy level, at such a man of his age.

Quite simply, they we're Carlsen's words.

Forgetting Blitz games for a moment, would you bet against Kasparov in a well timed and executed, fully judged, timed tournament?

My money would be on him, and it would treble if the odds were 5-1 against Kaspar.

Agreed?

(Although I'd have a few bob on Anand too... lol 😀)

-m.
I would bet against Kaspy in an elite tournament with Carlsen etc. unless Shirov was in it. Kasparov would have a +2 advantage in that case. 🙂