1. Joined
    10 Apr '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 07:11
    Hi,
    I was looking into the scillian defense (dragon variation) and was wondering what reply I should make if the following situation was to come up

(1) e2-e4 c7-c5
    (2) Ng1-f3 e7-e6
    (3) d2-d4 c5xd4
    (4) Nf3xd4 Ng8-f6
    (5) Nb1-c3 g7-g6
    (6) Nd4-b5 (OR Nc3-b5)

The problem with whites move there is next turn the knight on b5 will move to d6 and fork the king and bishop - forcing the king to move and forefeiting the right to castle. Also this cant be prevented by playing Qe8-d7 because then the knight forks the rook and king.

Any help on what to do in the situation would be appreciated - sorry if that version of the defense is easily countered
  2. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 08:47
    Originally posted by longorefisher
    Hi,
    I was looking into the scillian defense (dragon variation) and was wondering what reply I should make if the following situation was to come up

(1) e2-e4 c7-c5
    (2) Ng1-f3 e7-e6
    (3) d2-d4 c5xd4
    (4) Nf3xd4 Ng8-f6
    (5) Nb1-c3 g7-g6
    (6) Nd4-b5 (OR Nc3-b5)

The problem with whites move there is next turn the knight on b5 will mov ...[text shortened]... in the situation would be appreciated - sorry if that version of the defense is easily countered
    The Dragon involves Black playing his pawn to d6 NOT e6 on move 2!!!

That is where you have gone wrong!
  3. Joined
    10 Apr '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 10:22
    Thanks for that - it was an ameturish mistake 🙁
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 13:13
    Originally posted by najdorfslayer
    The Dragon involves Black playing his pawn to d6 NOT e6 on move 2!!!

That is where you have gone wrong!
    2...e6 is not really wrong, it's just not dragon but scheveningen. the error is the g6 after that which leaves Nf6 badly defended and loses the crucial tempo to block white's crushing attack after Ndb5. Bb4 instead of that disastrous g6 and black's just fine.
  5. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 15:30
    Originally posted by wormwood
    2...e6 is not really wrong, it's just not dragon but scheveningen. the error is the g6 after that which leaves Nf6 badly defended and loses the crucial tempo to block white's crushing attack after Ndb5. Bb4 instead of that disastrous g6 and black's just fine.
    Yeah..........I realise 2...e6 isn't wrong!! (It canlead to Taimanov, Kan, Scheveningen, Paulsen etc) I just meant it was wrong for a Dragon!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree