1. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 13:42
    Recently Chessgames started a guess-the-move feature which i like. I think the best way to improve your chess is to play over complete games by good players and try to forecast the winner's next move. Somebody should have a cd/dvd with this feature. There are over two thousand games in the GTM database so you can pick a particular player or opening or one with an endgame. The site scores your guesses, even giving you credit for moves that are just as good or maybe a little less. The scores are compared to others who did the same game and you're given a rating which you can always refer to. Chessgames.com doesn't have the biggest openings database and I hadn't been a member for some time, but this one feature attracted me and i enjoy it.
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 15:10
    Where have you been for the last decade or so? Fritz and Chessmaster have had such ability/tutorials/learning/quizes etc for a while. There was the test your chess in chess magazines and even websites like Chess Tactics Server (with its very poor interface).
  3. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 21:38
    I'm well aware of Pandolfini's Solitaire Chess and others. I wasn't aware that Friz and Chessmaster could give a complete game, rate it and compare it to other players to see where you stand. Chess Tactics Server doesn't give complete games, simply positions for you to solve tactically and i don't know where they get them from. As for where i've been the last decade, there are more sinister forces who would like to answer that same question.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 15:22
    Originally posted by z00t
    Where have you been for the last decade or so? Fritz and Chessmaster have had such ability/tutorials/learning/quizes etc for a while. There was the test your chess in chess magazines and even websites like Chess Tactics Server (with its very poor interface).
    can you explain how to use this training method in fritz 10?
  5. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 16:45
    I'd like to know that training feature myself. Under training, Fritz does have opening training, endgames, etc, but i don't know what the training feature of complete games is. I guess z00t will answer that question.
  6. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 18:061 edit
    Originally posted by buddy2
    I'd like to know that training feature myself. Under training, Fritz does have opening training, endgames, etc, but i don't know what the training feature of complete games is. I guess z00t will answer that question.
    I just looked and the database with loads of positions works well in older versions and appears out of focus in Fritz 10. For example the puzzle made by jfkmh is a common theme in the back rank exercises. Here is a screenshot of training from Capablanca-Grommer.

http://aycu34.webshots.com/image/18393/2005601170219790256_rs.jpg

If you also got a set of GM games and analysed them with training selected you could have the same effect but its best to use a database of already selected positions.

Edit:The database may not come with Fritz 10 now as now all chess vendors have a "componentised" sales model. This might be part of Fritz Trainer now. However F10 has sparring, coaching as well as setting up training positions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree