Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 26 Dec '05 04:50
    Hey guys, what do you think of the up and coming star Hikaru Nakamura? He's broken Fischer's record for youngest GM, and is current U.S. champ, at age 16 or 17. He's outpacing fischer. I think he might become the new U.S. world champ. He certainly does have potential.
  2. Standard member zakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    26 Dec '05 05:42
    Living proof that great chess players come from NY, USA. Nakamura is from NY as well 8 of the top 20 USCF rated players. I'm from NY, unfortunately I don't count.
  3. 26 Dec '05 07:47
    naah I think Nakamura has already seen his best chess games...and players like Carslen, Karjakin, Mamedyarov, Nyback, Ponomariov, Radjabow will be there too...there are so many young stars nowadays.
  4. 26 Dec '05 08:07
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    Living proof that great chess players come from NY, USA. Nakamura is from NY....
    Nakamura.....hmm that's a fine American name.

    Another 'American'.... 13-year-old American Fabiano Caruana just got his last IM norm, but is going to change federations to Italy.
  5. 26 Dec '05 08:18
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Nakamura.....hmm that's a fine American name....
    Reminds me of a few years back when our best hope of victories in Grand Slam tennis tournaments were Agassi and Chang...
  6. 26 Dec '05 23:08
    Well Nakamura was born in Japan, but he moved to the U.S. when he was 4 or 5, and all his chess instruction has been in the U.S. But it is true there are many young stars out there. If Nakamura does ever take the title, I think it will be within the next 10-15 years. If he doesn't take it then, I don't think he ever will.
  7. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    26 Dec '05 23:29
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    Hey guys, what do you think of the up and coming star Hikaru Nakamura? He's broken Fischer's record for youngest GM, and is current U.S. champ, at age 16 or 17. He's outpacing fischer. I think he might become the new U.S. world champ. He certainly does have potential.
    Please get your facts straight. Sergey Karjakin is the youngest GM at 12 yr 7 mo. Fischer was a GM at 15.

    Nakamura is good obviously but he underperformed at the world cup.
  8. Standard member Trains44
    Full speed locomotiv
    26 Dec '05 23:57
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    Hey guys, what do you think of the up and coming star Hikaru Nakamura? He's broken Fischer's record for youngest GM, and is current U.S. champ, at age 16 or 17. He's outpacing fischer. I think he might become the new U.S. world champ. He certainly does have potential.
    Quick....find out what his RHP rating might be!!
  9. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    27 Dec '05 03:45
    Originally posted by TRAINS44
    Quick....find out what his RHP rating might be!!
    Well nobody here could beat him thats for sure, he might even have
    beaten Ironmans computer. Wouldn't that have been a hoot.
  10. 27 Dec '05 03:52
    Topalov was beaten by an engine...twice recently so I read. Dunno how true that is though.
  11. 27 Dec '05 12:49
    There was difference between Fischer and these new guys: Fischer totally dominated American chess. NONE of these new players dominate like he did. It's a function of numbers. In Fischer's early days there were only about 5000 USCF members and about 100 Int'l Grandmasters. Now, with the tremendous increase in players, it is almost impossible to dominate the field like Fischer did. In Fischer's day there was only about 25-30 players rated over 2400 in the U.S.
  12. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    27 Dec '05 12:52
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well nobody here could beat him thats for sure, he might even have
    beaten Ironmans computer. Wouldn't that have been a hoot.
    here's a 3 1 game from ICC where nakamura beats the 'beast' pretty amusingly. beast being the unofficial #1 computer blitzer on ICC.

    [Event "ICC 3 1"]
    [Site "Internet Chess Club"]
    [Date "2005.06.08"]
    [Round "-"]
    [White "Beast"]
    [Black "Smallville"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [WhiteElo "3709"]
    [BlackElo "3348"]
    [ICCResult "White checkmated"]
    [Opening "Dunst (Sleipner, Heinrichsen) opening"]
    [ECO "A00"]
    [NIC "VO.15"]
    [Time "18:49:48"]
    [TimeControl "180+1"]

    1. Nc3 g6 2. e4 Bg7 3. Bc4 e6 4. Nf3 Ne7 5. O-O d6 6. d4 O-O 7. Bg5 h6 8.
    Be3 b6 9. Qd2 Kh7 10. d5 e5 11. Ne1 f5 12. f3 f4 13. Bf2 g5 14. Nd3 h5 15.
    Rae1 Ng6 16. Re2 Bh6 17. Ne1 g4 18. Qd3 a6 19. a4 Nd7 20. Kh1 Nf6 21. b4
    Rf7 22. Rg1 g3 23. hxg3 fxg3 24. Bxg3 h4 25. Bxh4 Nxh4 26. g3 Ng6 27. Rh2
    Kg7 28. Kg2 Rf8 29. Nd1 Rh8 30. Rgh1 Bg5 31. Rxh8 Nxh8 32. Nf2 Ng6 33. c3
    Qe8 34. b5 a5 35. Nc2 Ne7 36. Nh3 Bxh3+ 37. Rxh3 Qg6 38. Kf2 Rh8 39. Rxh8
    Kxh8 40. Ba2 Nd7 41. Ne1 Nc5 42. Qc2 Qh6 43. Ng2 Ng6 44. Bc4 Qh2 45. Bf1
    Kg7 46. Qa2 Nf8 47. Bc4 Nh7 48. Kf1 Qh1+ 49. Kf2 Qc1 50. Be2 Nf6 51. Qc4
    Bd2 52. g4 Qxc3 53. Qxc3 Bxc3 54. Bd1 Bd2 55. Nh4 Ng8 56. Ke2 Bg5 57. Nf5+
    Kf7 58. Bc2 Ne7 59. Ng3 Nd7 60. Kd3 Ng6 61. Nf5 Kf6 62. Kc3 Nh4 63. Nxh4
    Bxh4 64. Kd2 Kg5 65. Bd1 Kf4 66. Ke2 Nf6 67. Kf1 Nh7 68. Kg2 Be1 69. Kf1
    Bg3 70. Be2 Ng5 71. Kg1 Nxf3+ 72. Kg2 Ne1+ 73. Kf1 Nc2 74. Kg2 Ne3+ 75. Kh3
    Be1 76. g5 Kxg5 77. Kh2 Kf4 78. Bd3 Ng4+ 79. Kg2 Nf2 80. Bc2 Nxe4 81. Bb3
    Nc5 82. Kf1 Nxb3 83. Kxe1 Nc5 84. Ke2 Nxa4 85. Ke1 Nc5 86. Kf2 Ke4 87. Kg2
    Kxd5 88. Kg3 Kc4 89. Kg4 Kxb5 90. Kg3 a4 91. Kf3 a3 92. Ke3 a2 93. Kf2 a1=N
    94. Ke3 Kc6 95. Kf3 Nab3 96. Kg4 Nd4 97. Kg5 Nde6+ 98. Kf5 Kd7 99. Kg4 b5
    100. Kf3 b4 101. Kg3 b3 102. Kf3 b2 103. Kg4 b1=N 104. Kf5 Na3 105. Kg4 Nb7
    106. Kf5 Nf8 107. Ke4 Nd8 108. Kd3 Nb5 109. Kc4 Na7 110. Kd3 Nc8 111. Ke4
    Ke6 112. Ke3 d5 113. Kd2 c5 114. Kd1 e4 115. Kc2 d4 116. Kb2 Kd5 117. Kc1
    c4 118. Kd2 e3+ 119. Ke1 Ke4 120. Kf1 d3 121. Ke1 c3 122. Kd1 c2+ 123. Kc1
    e2 124. Kd2 Kd4 125. Ke1 c1=N 126. Kd2 Nb3+ 127. Ke1 Kc3 128. Kf2 Nc5 129.
    Ke1 Nce6 130. Kf2 Nc7 131. Kf3 e1=N+ 132. Kf2 Nc2 133. Kf1 Ne8 134. Kg2
    Nfe6 135. Kf2 Nf6 136. Kf3 Nd6 137. Kg3 Nc6 138. Kg2 N2d4 139. Kh3 N4f5
    140. Kg2 Nfe7 141. Kf2 Ng6 142. Ke1 Kc2 143. Kf2 d2 144. Kg2 d1=N 145. Kf1
    Nc3 146. Kf2 Ncd5 147. Kg2 Nce5 148. Kg1 Nde4 149. Kg2 Nd4 150. Kg1 Ngf4
    151. Kh1 Nfg4 152. Kg1 Nde3 153. Kh1 Ndf5 154. Kg1 Nf3+ 155. Kh1 Nfg3#
    {White checkmated} 0-1
  13. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    27 Dec '05 13:36 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    Please get your facts straight. Sergey Karjakin is the youngest GM at 12 yr 7 mo. Fischer was a GM at 15.

    Nakamura is good obviously but he underperformed at the world cup.
    Hikaru Nakamura became the youngest American Grandmaster in February 2003 at the age of 15 years 2 months. Fischer had become a GM in 1958 at 15 years, 6 months.

    Fischer was US Champion at the age of 14, while Nakamura was 16 when he won this title last year. See http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2067

    The record for youngest GM in the world has been reset seven times since Fischer, but not by Nakamura:
    Judit Polgar 15 years, 4 months, 28 days
    Peter Leko 14 years, 4 months, 22 days
    Etienne Bacrot 14 years, 2 months, 0 days
    Ruslan Ponomaryov 14 years, 0 months, 17 days
    Teimour Radjabov 14 years, 0 months, 14 days
    Bu Xiangzhi 13 years, 10 months, 13 days
    Sergey Karjakin 12 years, 7 months, 0 days

    see http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=310
  14. 27 Dec '05 16:49
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Nakamura.....hmm that's a fine American name.

    Another 'American'.... 13-year-old American Fabiano Caruana just got his last IM norm, but is going to change federations to Italy.
    LOL
  15. 27 Dec '05 22:30
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    Well Nakamura was born in Japan, but he moved to the U.S. when he was 4 or 5, and all his chess instruction has been in the U.S. But it is true there are many young stars out there. If Nakamura does ever take the title, I think it will be within the next 10-15 years. If he doesn't take it then, I don't think he ever will.
    He's still not American by blood. Let's face it. Of course, I - myself - am only a fourth generation American, being my forefathers beyond that were from Wales, Ireland and Scotland. I'm a mut that way. But, that's closer to be an American than Nakamura who is Japanese and maybe 1 generation American?