1. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 02:34
    Hello I have recently taken an interest in chess, however I am a complete newbie and I would like any help at all to become a moderate player, any advice or tip or help would be greatly appreciated ! Thank you !
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 02:41
    Originally posted by Demoz
    Hello I have recently taken an interest in chess, however I am a complete newbie and I would like any help at all to become a moderate player, any advice or tip or help would be greatly appreciated ! Thank you !
    Hi

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=39309&page=2

Half way down, page 2 follow that advice.

Keep in mind, chess is a drug. Sometimes it's a curse.
  3. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 02:44
    Thanks for the help RahimK, but aside from advice is there any "moves" or strategies that I should learn?
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 02:452 edits
    Thanks for the help RahimK, but aside from advice is there any "moves" or strategies that I should learn?
    Ya, it's all on that page. I listed which websites people should read, resources to use etc... That will get you on your way to 1400 at least.

I used these when I first started out. Other then that, pick up a chess book and start reading.
  5. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 03:40
    Speaking of books: two excellent chess books for beginners are:
    "Invitation to Chess" by Irving Chernev, and
    "Play Winning Chess" by Seirawan.
    Another good one (very thorough) is:
    "Complete Idiot's Guide to Chess" by Patrick Wolff.
    Good luck!
  6. Under Cover
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 04:25
    Originally posted by basso
    Speaking of books: two excellent chess books for beginners are:
    "Invitation to Chess" by Irving Chernev, and
    "Play Winning Chess" by Seirawan.
    Another good one (very thorough) is:
    "Complete Idiot's Guide to Chess" by Patrick Wolff.
    Good luck!
    Other good beginner's books are:
    Chess for Dummies and The Simon and Schuster Pocket Book of Chess
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 04:49
    All 6 or 7 of Yasser Seirwans Winning chess series.
  8. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 04:57
    Hmm those are all great tips guys, but I'm not sure if im gonna buy a book for chess, I might, but do you guys have anything to teach me thats important in chess?
  9. Under Cover
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 05:10
    OK, if you want cheap (read free) then go to chesskids.com and go through all the lessons there. They are targeted for children, but appropriate for anyone new to the game. The bottom line here is that you will have to do the work yourself. You aren't going to learn anything meaningful if you don't put a little effort into it.
  10. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 06:15
    Hmm those are all great tips guys, but I'm not sure if im gonna buy a book for chess, I might, but do you guys have anything to teach me thats important in chess?
    one important thing.

Check every move you make at least three times before you really make it. Just to make sure it is not a blunder.
  11. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 06:47
    Try with learning the basics: first be absolutely sure you know all the rules (not that en passant, stalemate, etc. occur that often but it is always nice to know). Learn the elementary mates: Q+K vs. K, R+K vs. K, B+B+K vs. K, K+R+R vs. K. Later you may pick up B+N+K vs K (that really is not that elementary). Look through as many games of the old masters as possible: while they lack the more subtle positional outmaneuvering of the contemporary grandmasters, they are a good start because they are full of tactical combinations and the motivations behind the moves are easier to understand. Play a lot of games. Always ask yourself before making a move: is there a threat to my position? what do I achieve with this move?
    Review your games: try to see where you have played a bad move, and why the move is bad. Tactics is essential it may save you when nothing else can...Try improving that. I might recommend solving problems like mate in 2, mate in 3, etc for that purpose. It will also improve your skill at recognizing unlikely mates.
    Ask others to analyze your games. Match it with your own analysis.
    Best regards,
    Peter
  12. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 16:50
    Keep playing, but don't get bogged down with too many games at once.
  13. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 17:21
    Tactics.
  14. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 05:15
    I apologize if I had sounded like I was requesting too much without doing much work with myself, but I am completely new to chess except for how the pieces move and I just don't know where to start.
  15. Under Cover
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 05:33
    I apologize if I had sounded like I was requesting too much without doing much work with myself, but I am completely new to chess except for how the pieces move and I just don't know where to start.
    You are here, start by playing a game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree