1. Joined
    27 Feb '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 17:00
    I am new to chess, but I know how the game work. I know how each pieces work, but how do you get good at it? Does it take a lot of practices? Any advices, I will gladly take it. Thank you!
  2. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 17:06
    Originally posted by Earthgoddess
    I am new to chess, but I know how the game work. I know how each pieces work, but how do you get good at it? Does it take a lot of practices? Any advices, I will gladly take it. Thank you!
    Welcome, and no practice is needed, you could beat Kasparov easy.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 17:11
    Chess skill comes naturally to a few, but most of us must practice a lot. Play a few games, and seek to understand the purpose of every move. Identify the key errors in each completed game, and avoid repeating those errors again.

Play through classic games, such as those you'll find in The World's Greatest Chess Games by Graham Burgess, John Nunn, and John Emms.

Learn the fundamental checkmate patterns and tactcal motifs (pins, forks, skewers, decoys, etc.).
  4. The sky
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 17:21
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Learn the fundamental checkmate patterns and tactcal motifs (pins, forks, skewers, decoys, etc.).
    Sheesh. I have been playing for over a year, but this is the first time I have heard about decoys. I had to google it. 😳
  5. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 18:13
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Sheesh. I have been playing for over a year, but this is the first time I have heard about decoys. I had to google it. 😳
    Here is a nice decoy move

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1104948
  6. Standard memberTrains44
    Full speed locomotiv
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 18:17
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Someone tell me what the hell a "decoy" is in chess, and how it is played?
  7. Somewhere out there!
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 18:43
    Originally posted by Trains44
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoy_(chess)

If I read it right a decoy move is a move that lures a piece somewhere (in the Netherlands this is called a magnet 😉 )
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 18:44
    Originally posted by Trains44
    The position below is from Pillsbury-Lasker 1895. It is black's move.

Lasker played 29...b5+. This move forced the king to capture the offending pawn, which drew the king to a vulnerable square and a mating net.

A decoy is a sacrifice that pulls a piece to a vulnerable square, or removes a key defender.
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 18:47
    Another decoy:

Black to move (from Holschner-Bezenner 1990)

10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 18:52
    Black to move (Aaron-Gligoric 1962)

Gligoric won material by using a decoy offer (rook trade) that led to a checkmate, then exchanging queens to decoy the white rook off the back rank and win the bishop.
  11. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 19:31
    Another decoy:

Black to move (from Holschner-Bezenner 1990)

[fen]6r1/1pp2kb1/2b4p/p1qN4/2P2p2/1P3P2/P6P/2QR1B1K b - - 0 1[/fen]
    Qg1+ Kxg1 Be4+ Kh1 Rg1#
  12. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 19:35
    Black to move (Aaron-Gligoric 1962)

[fen]7k/1pp4p/3p2q1/p1nPp3/2P1Pr2/8/PPB5/1K4RQ b - - 0 1[/fen]

Gligoric won material by using a decoy offer (rook trade) that led to a checkmate, then exchanging queens to decoy the white rook off the back rank and win the bishop.
    I don't know what the actual answer is but I would play Rh4 as black. If Rxg6, Rxh1+ wins a minor and you get the rooks traded off with an extra knight. If the queen moves anywhere you can just take the rook with check and way up in material.
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 19:42
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    I don't know what the actual answer is but I would play Rh4 as black. If Rxg6, Rxh1+ wins a minor and you get the rooks traded off with an extra knight. If the queen moves anywhere you can just take the rook with check and way up in material.
    1...Rh4 2.Qg2 Qxg2 3.Rxg2 Rh1+ won the bishop
  14. Joined
    27 Feb '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 20:11
    hey, maybe you should try scholars mate but instead of taking the queen all the way, stop it in front of the pawn in front of the bishop.

I win many primary school chess competitions that way, one who was said to be the faviroute but, he was taken out in 58 seconds! he he eh, i always knew i am the best chess player in my school!
  15. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 20:33
    Originally posted by eddorean
    hey, maybe you should try scholars mate but instead of taking the queen all the way, stop it in front of the pawn in front of the bishop.

I win many primary school chess competitions that way, one who was said to be the faviroute but, he was taken out in 58 seconds! he he eh, i always knew i am the best chess player in my school!
    Scholar's Mate is easily refuted. As a scholastic chess coach, I see it often. I see it attempted, and I see it succeed. It does not work against the players that I coach, and they rarely try it. At the last scholastic tournament, a kid from another school asked to play a game with me between rounds. He tried Scholar's Mate. That game began something along the lines of

[Event "?"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "2006.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Scholar"]
    [Black "Experienced Player"]
    [Result "*"]
    [ECO "C20"]
    [PlyCount "12"]
    [EventDate "2006.??.??"]

1. e4 e5 2. Qf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. g4 d5 5. exd5 Bxg4 6. Qg3 Nd4 *

Black already has a substantial advantage.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree