1. Joined
    17 Apr '07
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 18:24
    Originally posted by najdorfslayer
    I'm over 1800 and I don't know why your opponent resigned. Perhaps someone can tell me!!
    I took a look and it looks like they resigned all games played (or got timed out) so I'm guessing it wasn't personal.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 18:29
    Originally posted by najdorfslayer
    I'm over 1800 and I don't know why your opponent resigned. Perhaps someone can tell me!!
    I gave the game to Crafty and it gives black a comfortable lead (-0.77) as black can grab the b2 pawn. Since chessisvanity has no in progress games, and had a peak rating of 1,395 I think that the resignation has little to do with what was happening in the game.
  3. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 18:50
    What is very important at any level of play, is tactics. I googled a little and found a nice site for learning - http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PDJoseph/chesstacticsforamateurs.htm. I suggest you to look at it. There are articles with puzzles on different themes with nice explanations. After a quick scrolling through, it seemed a very nice place where to learn. Anyway, if this doesn't suit, just use google.com. There you can find probably anything, including tons of chess puzzles and tutorials.
  4. Joined
    17 Apr '07
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 19:07
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    What is very important at any level of play, is tactics. I googled a little and found a nice site for learning - http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PDJoseph/chesstacticsforamateurs.htm. I suggest you to look at it. There are articles with puzzles on different themes with nice explanations. After a quick scrolling through, it seemed a very nice place wh ...[text shortened]... oogle.com. There you can find probably anything, including tons of chess puzzles and tutorials.
    Thanks. I have several sites bookmarked and will add this one as well. There is such an overload of info out there. Some of it easy to grasp some of it not so easy. But it's a great way to kill time while waiting for opponents to move.
  5. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 19:14
    Lots of available info is very good. To increase your level of play all you have to do is practise which means hard work, (working hard, not hardly working) but the results give you a nice feeling, like the one after a well done work.
  6. Joined
    17 Apr '07
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 19:34
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    Lots of available info is very good. To increase your level of play all you have to do is practise which means hard work, (working hard, not hardly working) but the results give you a nice feeling, like the one after a well done work.
    Am I the only one who keeps on kicking himself in the back end after obtaining a good strong hold on a board then just flittering it all away being over confident! The wife has calling me Homer over here with all the DOH's coming from the office. Still I'm having a great time and being well humbled in the process. All par for the course though isn't it. Blunder and learn.
  7. Standard memberhammster21
    Endgamer
    Wisconsin
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 19:40
    Originally posted by Dudermooner
    Am I the only one who keeps on kicking himself in the back end after obtaining a good strong hold on a board then just flittering it all away being over confident! The wife has calling me Homer over here with all the DOH's coming from the office. Still I'm having a great time and being well humbled in the process. All par for the course though isn't it. Blunder and learn.
    I have over 100 games under my belt and so far, this week alone, I've managed to miss a mate in 1 and drop a piece in 2 other games, 1 is a loss, the other was in a clearly won position which is murky right now. So I guess get used to is because it doesn't go away for a while.
  8. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 19:561 edit
    Originally posted by Dudermooner
    You cannot learn anything new, if you don't make mistakes.
  9. Joined
    17 Apr '07
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 20:18
    Originally posted by hammster21
    I have over 100 games under my belt and so far, this week alone, I've managed to miss a mate in 1 and drop a piece in 2 other games, 1 is a loss, the other was in a clearly won position which is murky right now. So I guess get used to is because it doesn't go away for a while.
    Just happy to have half my wits left about me. I don't expect much as far as the learning goes. My mind hasn't been the same since I suffered a head injury. This is mainly a way for me to keep what smarts I have on high alert.

So far it's been a good time here. Have managed to learn a few things that I didn't know before but mostly just having fun figuring out the board.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree