1. Joined
    23 Jul '07
    Moves
    27 Jul '07 10:00
    hi, i am new here, have not played in about 10 years and even back then i was not good.

played this game recently.
    game is a draw (hehe)
    question is there a stage in the game where i (white) could have won it?
    Game 3840991
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    27 Jul '07 11:51
    Originally posted by twincamracing
    hi, i am new here, have not played in about 10 years and even back then i was not good.

played this game recently.
    game is a draw (hehe)
    question is there a stage in the game where i (white) could have won it?
    Game 3840991
    I think you lost your way from about move 8. At that stage you were OK but then seemed too inclined to swop off pieces needlessly and eventually just blundered it all away.

Instead of b4 try Be3 followed by 0-0 - Re1. b4 creates a weak backward c pawn. After BXN, cXB would probably be better than QXB as you get rid of that backward pawn and get an imposing pawn centre.
  3. Joined
    23 Jul '07
    Moves
    27 Jul '07 12:01
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I think you lost your way from about move 8. At that stage you were OK but then seemed too inclined to swop off pieces needlessly and eventually just blundered it all away.

Instead of b4 try Be3 followed by 0-0 - Re1. b4 creates a weak backward c pawn. After BXN, cXB would probably be better than QXB as you get rid of that backward pawn and get an imposing pawn centre.
    thanks i think? i will have to go and read a book to understand what you just said. 🙄
  4. Joined
    12 Aug '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '07 12:16
    He should swap off pieces. It is not needless since White has a static advantage (doubled pawns) and should steer for a superior endgame.

Even if you lost a half point, this lesson is worth it 🙂
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    27 Jul '07 12:40
    Originally posted by anthias
    He should swap off pieces. It is not needless since White has a static advantage (doubled pawns) and should steer for a superior endgame.

Even if you lost a half point, this lesson is worth it 🙂
    Sorry but I disagree. Black has compensation in the form of that weak c pawn.

Mindlessly swopping off pieces in the hope that a weakness in the pawn structure will somehow turn into a win does not work. White needs pieces on to attack the perceived doubled pawn weakness as the game eventually showed.
  6. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    27 Jul '07 15:52
    Listen to DF- he knows what he's talking about!
    😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree