Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 09 Dec '10 14:47
    Blitz: Initial time, I assume is the total time for each player?

    Increment is what?

    I played chess many years ago as a young lad. Just an OK player. Now I want to
    play again, approaching it as a new chess player. I just played one round of Blitz
    here. Wow! Is Blitz playing a good way to learn (re-learn)?

    Is there a reference for all the various acronyms used in the forums?
    Some I get (CC) but others I don't.

    ELO, QID, OTB, FEN, PGN etc...

    Great chess site and community. Glad I found it.

    Thanks
    Russ
  2. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    09 Dec '10 14:59
    Originally posted by rmmcclay
    Blitz: Initial time, I assume is the total time for each player?

    Increment is what?

    I played chess many years ago as a young lad. Just an OK player. Now I want to
    play again, approaching it as a new chess player. I just played one round of Blitz
    here. Wow! Is Blitz playing a good way to learn (re-learn)?

    Is there a reference for all the var ...[text shortened]... QID, OTB, FEN, PGN etc...

    Great chess site and community. Glad I found it.

    Thanks
    Russ
    ELO, the guy who developed a type of ratings commonly used today. often mistakenly used for fide rating.

    QID, queen's indian defense
    OTB, over the board ie. physical board vs. a virtual online board.
    FEN, a chess position diagram file structure.
    PGN, portable game notation, a file structure for a whole game.

    and when people speak of russ, they don't mean you.
  3. 09 Dec '10 15:18 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    and when people speak of russ, they don't mean you.[/b]
    Thanks for some help with acronyms.

    I've already surmised that someone named Russ is possibly The Force behind this site,
    but to correct you, when people speak of Russ, that might possibly mean me just as
    well, since after all it's my name too and I've probably been around longer in the world
    than he (although that's a risky assumption. I was b. 1955) =)
  4. 09 Dec '10 15:58
    and increment is a very useful tool to avoid silly finishes.
    it's simply a number of seconds added to your time after each move.

    Meaning if you play 5+2, it means 5 min + 2 sec per move.

    So if you have a queen, rook and 2 knights versus 1 pawn, you don't risk losing because of time ! you'll always have at least 2 sec to move.
  5. 09 Dec '10 16:13
    Originally posted by wormwood
    FEN, a chess position diagram file structure.
    Just to be complete, or pedantic, depending on your viewpoint, FEN stands for Forsyth-Edwards Notation. There is a good Wikipedia article on it.
  6. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    09 Dec '10 22:50
    Originally posted by rmmcclay
    Thanks for some help with acronyms.

    I've already surmised that someone named Russ is possibly The Force behind this site,
    but to correct you, when people speak of Russ, that might possibly mean me just as
    well, since after all it's my name too and I've probably been around longer in the world
    than he (although that's a risky assumption. I was b. 1955) =)
    Russ is one of the administrators at this site.
  7. 10 Dec '10 05:42
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Russ is one of the administrators at this site.
    Russ = God
  8. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    10 Dec '10 06:48
    Originally posted by rja211077
    Just to be complete, or pedantic, depending on your viewpoint, FEN stands for Forsyth-Edwards Notation. There is a good Wikipedia article on it.
    Not to mention it is actually Elo, not ELO.
    ELO is an acronym for Electric Light Orchestra, a band. Elo is a surname.
  9. 11 Dec '10 15:03
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Not to mention it is actually Elo, not ELO.
    ELO is an acronym for Electric Light Orchestra, a band. Elo is a surname.
    Indeed it is. Arpad Elo, Hungarian, created the strength ratings for chess and Go. He was a chess master and resided in Milwaukee where he died in 1992.