1. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 16:25
    Originally posted by Varenka
    Yes.... Rg8, Qe7, Rxd8, Qxd8, Qb7 mate. Not as nice, but to the point. In OTB games I prefer to minimise the chances of errors in calculation.
    If he could see the queen sac.. and it was beautiful.. I especially like h1... I'm sure he must have seen that too.. he's just a showoff. Or maybe these guys have "history".
  2. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 16:42
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Jack Rudd: http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getref.php?ref=118310C
    John Howard: http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getref.php?ref=187572D

A difference in ECF grades of 134 is like the difference between Skeeter's OTB rating and his rating on here.

For those who like this sort of thing - I think I have a video of Mike Tyson knocking out a six year old girl which I can post if there's enough interest.
    Oooo.. an ECF grade.. I had one of those back in the Mesozoic period. I think it was around 120-130. The top players in the club were around 180.
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 16:43
    I don't think Jack was being mean in any way, he was just trying to find an interesting way to finish off an opponent he outclassed by several orders of magnitude.

Unfortunately he was thwarted by his opponent not spotting the obvious threat! If I had been Jack, I would have allowed my opponent to retract Qb2+ and gently encourage him to play Qe7 instead.
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 16:47
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    Oooo.. an ECF grade.. I had one of those back in the Mesozoic period. I think it was around 120-130. The top players in the club were around 180.
    That sounds about right. Basically anyone with an ECF grade higher than, say, 191 should be treated as a God.
  5. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 17:391 edit
    I don't think Jack was being mean in any way, he was just trying to find an interesting way to finish off an opponent he outclassed by several orders of magnitude.

Unfortunately he was thwarted by his opponent not spotting the obvious threat! If I had been Jack, I would have allowed my opponent to retract Qb2+ and gently encourage him to play Qe7 instead.
    I like my explanation better. The other lad had nicked his space in the car park. I have the CCTV footage here.

YouTube
  6. gumtree
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 17:44
    That sounds about right. Basically anyone with an ECF grade higher than, say, 191 should be treated as a God.
    You may bow down and worship me oh unworthy one. Many years ago I thought I had a BCF grade of 195 for all of a couple of days. Then someone spoiled the fun and pointed out it was a typo. It should have been 95 which wasn't too bad for a 12 year old's very first grade I suppose.
  7. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 17:55
    Originally posted by Diophantus
    You may bow down and worship me oh unworthy one. Many years ago I thought I had a BCF grade of 195 for all of a couple of days. Then someone spoiled the fun and pointed out it was a typo. It should have been 95 which wasn't too bad for a 12 year old's very first grade I suppose.
    And I'll bet that even at 12 you took advantage and used it to get girls.
  8. gumtree
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 18:03
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    And I'll bet that even at 12 you took advantage and used it to get girls.
    I did try. Unfortunately even back then a pimply chess playing yoof was not regarded as very desirable. Chess was a game for old blokes in tweed jackets and Russians. If only I had peaked a couple of years later, then I'd have been compared to a certain R J Fischer and all the girls would have wanted me.
  9. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 18:132 edits
    amazing to see such a combo OTB. would also like to play OTB, whatever that is. but after some hours into such a game, to be able to concentrate and see this... !

but i just started learning chess in the computer age, am now 79 years old, came quite late to study it. but i have a brother in italy, he can maybe explain to me who this 'OTB' is...
  10. gumtree
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 18:16
    Originally posted by tharkesh
    amazing to see such a combo OTB. would also like to play OTB, whatever that is.

but i just started learning chess in the computer age, am now 79 years old, came quite late to study it. but i have a brother in italy, he can maybe explain to me who this 'OTB' is...
    Looking at your picture, I'd say you have many identical siblings.
  11. e4
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 19:21
    I don't think Jack was showing off either.

Infact it can lessen the blow of a defeat if you opponent does it neatly.
    When faced with such a position I often allowed the neat win to be played.

It's also a shows a certain respect (IMO) to your opponent that you are putting
    some effort into the game rather than going through the motions to win in
    a mundane technical fashion.

Finally you have to credit Jack, whose has produced many sparkling games,
    for looking deeper into the position and producing a wee piece of magic.
  12. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 19:36
    The only other game I have seen of Rudd's was a failed attempt to ward off GM Adams at the Brit champs last year...
  13. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 19:39
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I don't think Jack was showing off either.

Infact it can lessen the blow of a defeat if you opponent does it neatly.
    When faced with such a position I often allowed the neat win to be played.

It's also a shows a certain respect (IMO) to your opponent that you are putting
    some effort into the game rather than going through the motions to win in ...[text shortened]... ny sparkling games,
    for looking deeper into the position and producing a wee piece of magic.
    Well I said it slightly tongue in cheek ( there's a shocker ). It's certainly a great finish, one of the best you've posted.. and there's been a few.
  14. e4
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 22:42
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    The only other game I have seen of Rudd's.....
    Thread 116251

Where Jack's Bishop's dominate the Rook and two Knights.

15. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 14:201 edit
    Several of Jack's games can be found here:
    http://www.chessgames.com/player/jack_rudd.html

He has a great feel for space and initiative, I wish I could play more like him.

In this game he savages the much higher rated Adam Hunt right from the start:

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree