1. USA
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 00:321 edit
    Does anyone have either of his two book series, more specifically gambiteer I? There is a surprising lack of reviews on Amazon.com. I am normally a positional player, but sometimes you just need to change your style and try something new, so I thought this might be the book for me- is it any good?

Edit: Most of his other books have gotten good review on Amazon.com
  2. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 03:19
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    Does anyone have either of his two book series, more specifically gambiteer I? There is a surprising lack of reviews on Amazon.com. I am normally a positional player, but sometimes you just need to change your style and try something new, so I thought this might be the book for me- is it any good?

Edit: Most of his other books have gotten good review on Amazon.com
    I also found (IM?) Nigel Davies interesting. In the past, I attempted to visit his website and contact him. The website was terribly difficult to find and, once found, was essentially an unusable shell which could not be reached beyond the frontispage. I could find no current email address for feedback to him. Nigel Davies, I concluded, seems to exist only as a set of phantom-like references: look too close and he disappears altogether. So, it does not surprise me that his books are unreviewed. I had in fact wondered if he were dead. But you say he is writing new books. Somebody call Rod Serling...
  3. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 03:39
    http://www.fide.com/ratings/card.phtml?event=404420

Here is some information about him, he is an English grand master but I dont remember ever seeing him playing when I have been (perhaps I just missed him) in big events.
  4. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 03:42
    Originally posted by Mark Adkins
    I also found (IM?) Nigel Davies interesting. In the past, I attempted to visit his website and contact him. The website was terribly difficult to find and, once found, was essentially an unusable shell which could not be reached beyond the frontispage. I could find no current email address for feedback to him. Nigel Davies, I concluded, seems to exis ...[text shortened]... ct wondered if he were dead. But you say he is writing new books. Somebody call Rod Serling...
    L.O.L.
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 05:51
    "Gambiteer I" is excellent, but I had to sell it to a used book store a couple of weeks ago for food money. When I went back to the store today to try to buy it back, he'd sold it already.
  6. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 15:04
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    http://www.fide.com/ratings/card.phtml?event=404420

Here is some information about him, he is an English grand master but I dont remember ever seeing him playing when I have been (perhaps I just missed him) in big events.
    He is an English GM, based in NW England, though I think he has lived in North Wales too. I also believe that he has had connections in the past with Israeli chess. I have played him OTB in local club chess. He has written quite a few books. In recent years his OTB playing style has become fairly solid, so I doubt whether he'll play any of the openings he recommends in the Gambiteer series, though I'd love to be proved wrong!
  7. Fågelsången
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 17:08
    http://www.tigerchess.com/
  8. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 17:28
    I have Gambiteer II its pretty good covers only Schliemann and Albin-Counter nothing really against Two Knights etc.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 22:22
    Nigel Davies is also one of the several co-authors of one of my favorite chess books: "Mastering Chess: A Course in 21 Lessons." A senior master that I knew who was also a chess teacher used this as his textbook.
  10. USA
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 22:56
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    "Gambiteer I" is excellent, but I had to sell it to a used book store a couple of weeks ago for food money. When I went back to the store today to try to buy it back, he'd sold it already.
    Ok thanks. I think I'll go ahead and buy it.
  11. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 07:52
    Special news for all - I have found a picture of Nigel Davies

http://www.colossus.demon.co.uk/bcc/eventsresults/congresses/2006rapidplay/100_1522.jpg

Playing this weekend at the Bury rapidplay, having his first move made for him - nice to see it was e4, hopefully it got him into the gambit spirit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree