1. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 08:051 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    The best anti Colle line is to simply play chess.
    how would you know spanklberger, you play scotch gambit hoping for a quick hit on f7, news flash this is not New Orleans 1879.
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 13:38
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    how would you know spanklberger, you play scotch gambit hoping for a quick hit on f7, news flash this is not New Orleans 1879.
    Neither is it Gent 1920.

By the way, I'm somewhat puzzled at your advocacy for Colle. Surely as a Teague, your favourite Belgian chess player should be Albéric O'Kelly de Galway?

Richard
  3. e4
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 13:58
    Hi Homdepotov.

"I'm not a proactive extrovert type, I'm a reactive introvert type. "

You are not looking at plan B.

Once the store is stocked up with these over priced chess books you and
    your buddies must NOT buy them.
    Eventually they will end up in th cheap clearance section and you will pick
    them up for next to nothing.
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 14:38
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    News flash, it still works.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 14:56
    One word...Amazon
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 15:203 edits
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Neither is it Gent 1920.

By the way, I'm somewhat puzzled at your advocacy for Colle. Surely as a Teague, your favourite Belgian chess player should be Albéric O'Kelly de Galway?

Richard
    It was how i learned to play chess, i remember those hazy days of windows 3.1,
    winboard and me trying to beat up the engine, i had heard that the Colle was solid and
    easy to play so i have a somewhat soft spot for it. The way to beat up on the Colle and
    shhhhh, its a great secret, but seeing that i like you, ill tell you, (whispers) it is to play a
    kingside fiancheto and ...d5, Grunefeld style, the Colle bishop bites on granite and the
    colle player must switch to another system, the best one being a system with a c4 pawn
    push which is difficult to achieve. I dont really have any favourite chess players as with
    perhaps the exception of Reti and Rossilimo, neither of whose styles i try to imitate.

this text will self destruct in five seconds.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 15:29
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    News flash, it still works.
    News Flash, just because its Scotch, thats its only merit, the whole system relies upon
    the extra tempo of the first move, and someone playing 1...e5, these days i play the
    daughter of all dragons, the hyper accelerated dragon, dig the sound my man, and all
    those 1.e4 zoobs dont know any theory. I love it when they play 2.Bc4 against my
    Sicilian, absolutely love it.
  8. USA
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 16:10
    Originally posted by homedepotov
    That's right. In my local Bookland bookstore (a division of Books A Million) there is not a single chess book in their games and puzzles section which contains 4 shelves. There are picture puzzle books and sudoku and crossword puzzle books but no chess. There was a "zombie sudoku" book so maybe someone needs to publish a "zombie chess" book. Zombies are very popular lately so that might work.
    People still go to bookstores in 2012?
  9. Joined
    17 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 19:49
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    I still go sometimes for sentimental reasons.

Once I went to Bookland and was shocked to see that they were actually selling e-book readers which I thought would spell the end of the physical book and brick-and-mortar stores, but the manager assured me that it wouldn't.

I still burst into tears and fled the store.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Aug '12 13:31
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    Civilised people, yes.

Amazon may have a lot of stock, but you can't beat the smell of new books - except with the smell of old books.

Richard
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '12 16:38
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The first chess books I ever looked at were from the local Library.
    The manual for Fritz doesn't count as a chess book.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree