1. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 00:058 edits
    A BIG CHEAP SWINDLE

Hi all,

I played in the US Amateur Team Tournament (South), and my team won the U1800 section. I played reasonably well overall, but my 4th round game on Sunday morning was awful (Sunday morning stinkers are a pattern for me).

In team tournaments one tends to play on even when the result should not be in doubt, and in this case it paid off! White went into autopilot, and as I played faster (as though I had given up on the game and just wanted it to end), he played faster right along with me.

I had elaborate notes to the game, but the pgn viewer exceeded my patience.

I started working on the stalemate swindle around move 35, and I will at least point out that white did not completely blow it until move 40, when 41. Ke4 or Kf4 preserves the win. He thought he could escape behind the pawns, not realizing that my bishop, pin notwithstanding, still controlled a2!

2. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 00:42
    Nice swindle Paul.

I'd have played Ra7-a8 asap, like maybe on move 40 instead of gxh5... he seemed to be asking for a swindle by keeping his rook on the 7th rank.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 13:25
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    Nice swindle Paul.

I'd have played Ra7-a8 asap, like maybe on move 40 instead of gxh5... he seemed to be asking for a swindle by keeping his rook on the 7th rank.
    He was on autopilot and made multiple mistakes on his path to giving me a half point. His teammates were not happy, but mine were!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree