Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 05 Sep '06 19:46 / 2 edits
    Hey All,
    IN ANOTHER post dealing with ChessMaster and the like, YUGOslav typed. . .

[they're not necessarily bad, but they don't have that human essence to them. and comps rule everyone at tactics so try a positional game instead.]

WELL MY questions are, What is considered "Positional Chess" and
    How does a person learn how to play "Postional Chess?" Personally, I don't know how to play positional chess.

Thanks
    KingOnPoint
  2. 05 Sep '06 21:41
    literally, i think, you try and get a good position, so any move you do should damage your opponents position and/or improve your own. dont ask me methods and stuff though
  3. 05 Sep '06 21:52
    But it seems that "Positional Chess" may be when someone makes moves that are not necessarily immediately obvious. Just because someone follows move principles doesn't mean they have a good position for the game actually being played. For instance, it may take a Grandmaster to see the "positional" moves. Whereas, a C grade player may only see stuff like. . .
    Rooks on open files
    Bishops having open diagonals
    Knights having posts
    etc. . .

So, what else is meant by "Postional Chess?"

KingOnPoint
  4. 06 Sep '06 01:56
    Nimzowitsch - My System
  5. 06 Sep '06 02:21
    positional chess is where you take all advantages you can get such as opening up your files for bishops creating a outpost for a knight. doubling someones pawns. positional chess is long term but with tactics its the opposite short term.
  6. 06 Sep '06 03:55
    Originally posted by kmac27
    positional chess is where you take all advantages you can get such as opening up your files for bishops creating a outpost for a knight. doubling someones pawns. positional chess is long term but with tactics its the opposite short term.
    Wrong.