Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 18 Oct '08 14:34
    Has this ever been done or suggested? Is it a good idea?
  2. 18 Oct '08 14:59
    I think it has merit. It might make sense to limit the tourney to only those non-subs who have not ever had a paid subscription, or at least haven't in the past couple of years. This might fit better in the site ideas forum.
  3. 18 Oct '08 15:11
    Originally posted by Maxwell Smart
    I think it has merit. It might make sense to limit the tourney to only those non-subs who have not ever had a paid subscription, or at least haven't in the past couple of years. This might fit better in the site ideas forum.
    I might post it in the ideas bit (didn't realise there was one).
    I would probably subscribe but I could only pay with PayPal, and I don't think you can. (?)
    It could also be good for players who can't afford to pay.

    Also, I know there has been non-sub tournaments before, how do they (we) find out about them? I never knew about them, and don't click on available tournaments because I know we can't enter them.
  4. 18 Oct '08 15:21
    I could post it in the ideas forum after getting some feedback on the idea. Would any subscribers mind somebody getting a free subscription after paying for one themselves? Bearing in mind not everyone can afford a subscription.
  5. 18 Oct '08 15:27
    Originally posted by MilkyJoe
    I could post it in the ideas forum after getting some feedback on the idea. Would any subscribers mind somebody getting a free subscription after paying for one themselves? Bearing in mind not everyone can afford a subscription.
    I think the only way the idea would make sense from the perspective of the admins would be as a tool to get non-subs to get used to the benefits of subscribing. There aren't many non-sub tourneys on the site to begin with, as tourneys are one of the major benefits of subscribing. You can look at the open tourneys at any time by clicking the Tournaments button. If an idea like the one you suggested were to come to fruition, there would also probably be an announcement in the forums somewhere. I don't know if you'll ever see it though, because I don't see where it has enough value for the Admins to do it.
  6. 18 Oct '08 15:47
    Originally posted by Maxwell Smart
    I think the only way the idea would make sense from the perspective of the admins would be as a tool to get non-subs to get used to the benefits of subscribing. There aren't many non-sub tourneys on the site to begin with, as tourneys are one of the major benefits of subscribing. You can look at the open tourneys at any time by clicking the Tournaments ...[text shortened]... l ever see it though, because I don't see where it has enough value for the Admins to do it.
    It could be used as a promotion to get more publicity for the site (and therefore probably more subscribers). It could also get already non-subs to subscribe (who, maybe, are in two minds about subscribing) if they find out they like the tournament side of chess.
  7. 18 Oct '08 15:49
    As long as the six tournament games count against my six slots for playing other people, I won't do a tournament.
  8. 18 Oct '08 15:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    As long as the six tournament games count against my six slots for playing other people, I won't do a tournament.
    Eh?

    OK, just got what you meant, sorry.
  9. 18 Oct '08 17:27
    Originally posted by MilkyJoe
    Eh?

    OK, just got what you meant, sorry.
    if you have a full six...and then enter a tournament...you get 12
  10. 18 Oct '08 17:31
    You have twelve only at one point. Once those six games are gone, you won't have the chance to play another. If you have six games in progress when the tournament begins, chances are those games will end while you are playing tournament games. Once that happens, you can't start another game.

    Until they fix this, I'm not going to bother.
  11. 18 Oct '08 17:41
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You have twelve only at one point. Once those six games are gone, you won't have the chance to play another. If you have six games in progress when the tournament begins, chances are those games will end while you are playing tournament games. Once that happens, you can't start another game.

    Until they fix this, I'm not going to bother.
    Easy... Tornament games aren't counted.
  12. 18 Oct '08 18:26
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You have twelve only at one point. Once those six games are gone, you won't have the chance to play another. If you have six games in progress when the tournament begins, chances are those games will end while you are playing tournament games. Once that happens, you can't start another game.

    Until they fix this, I'm not going to bother.
    Why does this matter? You will always have the opportunity to have 6 games and if you already have 6 in progress before the tournament starts then you will have 200% as many games as your max is. You could just make sure at least one of your tourney games finishes before all your original six finish then you would be able to challenge someone else. All in all, this beef you have is illogical
  13. 18 Oct '08 18:31
    Originally posted by MilkyJoe
    Has this ever been done or suggested? Is it a good idea?
    I think not. it would be like an open invitation for engine use.
  14. 18 Oct '08 18:45
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    I think not. it would be like an open invitation for engine use.
    Doesn't every game? See what you mean though. How can you protect against cheaters in anything? Is it not worth a shot? Somebody on this site has a profile that says if you use an engine against him he will detect you. I'm not suggesting he oversees every game, but surely any tournament game can be cheated. Sub or non-sub.
  15. 18 Oct '08 18:54
    Originally posted by MilkyJoe
    Doesn't every game? See what you mean though. How can you protect against cheaters in anything? Is it not worth a shot? Somebody on this site has a profile that says if you use an engine against him he will detect you. I'm not suggesting he oversees every game, but surely any tournament game can be cheated. Sub or non-sub.
    All tournaments invite engine use to a degree, but less so if you don't get much out of winning the tournament. (What you get out of it doesn't necessarily have to be money. Look at the annual championship - the winner doesn't get a prize, but it's a high-profile tournament, so the reward is psychological. Cheating runs rampant there.)