1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '20 18:15
    I think that ignoring threats is a major problem for bad chess players. I know when I actually take time to counter my opponent's threats I win more games. When I only worry about how I can attack, quite often I lose.

This is not tactics, perhaps tactics where all you do is counter an opponents threat would help people out.
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    30 Oct '20 19:44
    @eladar said
    I think that ignoring threats is a major problem for bad chess players. I know when I actually take time to counter my opponent's threats I win more games. When I only worry about how I can attack, quite often I lose.

This is not tactics, perhaps tactics where all you do is counter an opponents threat would help people out.
    Well - sort of.

Ignoring or overlooking threats is a big reason people lose games alright.

IMO - Tactics is finding good quality attacking moves without creating weaknesses in your own position.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '20 19:58
    @mchill said
    Well - sort of.

Ignoring or overlooking threats is a big reason people lose games alright.

IMO - Tactics is finding good quality attacking moves without creating weaknesses in your own position.
    At some point, if I have an attack my opponent must defend. If my opponent has an attack, I must defend.

We do not do that kind of stuff in tactics puzzles, which is another fundamental difference between puzzles and game stuations.
  4. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    30 Oct '20 21:001 edit
    "This is not tactics"

No😑.... it's not...🚬[edit]🤔
  5. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    30 Oct '20 21:15
    Sac sac mate
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '20 21:19
    Sac, sac, hope for the best.
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    30 Oct '20 22:29
    @eladar said

I believe prophylaxis is the word you are looking for.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 Oct '20 22:29
    @Eladar

Sometimes you even do both with one move. 😲
  9. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    30 Oct '20 22:40
    @paul-leggett said
    Tacticians win tournaments.
    Defenders win World Championships.

Not sure who said it first but it is the best chess quote ever.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '20 22:44
    @paul-leggett said
    If you want a better training tool, you intertwine prophylaxis with tactics.

I have been winning more today!
  11. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '20 23:22
    @eladar said

Sometimes it's best to just ignore your opponents "threats" and let him do what he's trying to do. Sometimes blunders are prepared by the previous move, it's best not to counter those.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '20 23:29
    @knightstalker47 said
    Sometimes it's best to just ignore your opponents "threats" and let him do what he's trying to do. Sometimes blunders are prepared by the previous move, it's best not to counter those.
    Yes, if your opponent's attack is not a threat, then you ignore it.

If the threat will destroy your position or lead to your loss, then you need to do something about it.

Not sure why so many people are opposed to puzzles that require a defensive response.
  13. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    30 Oct '20 23:30
    It is best to play solid and slightly passive and wait for the mistake.

Steinitz
    Lasker
    Karpov

Etc Etc
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '20 23:18
    After the past few days of tactics and games, I think my weakest link is not countering opponent threats, the most common has been failure to capture a rook with my rook, which gets taken the next move.

Really stupid, but a consistant mistake.
  15. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    03 Nov '20 23:22
    @Eladar

Basic tactics my good man.

Develop a simple and safe strategy like Steinitz, Lasker and Karpov and those things don't happen.

I get the impression you are trying for quick wins but fail.
    Play solid and passive chess and you will be 1600 in no time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree