1. USA
    Moves
    22 Jun '06 00:24
    Originally posted by trigz76
    Hello. I am a relative n00b, but seem to be playing reasonably well when with black. My opening repertoire with white however is completely non-existent and I tend to lose games when playing with white fairly clumsily.

Which white openings would be recommendable for me? Any thoughts?
    The same problem happened to me. What I did was bought a copy of Yasser Seirawans Winning Chess Openings , selected about 3 I liked for white, and 4 or 5 I liked with black, learned and memorized the main variations, and never had opening problems since.
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    22 Jun '06 00:37
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    The same problem happened to me. What I did was bought a copy of Yasser Seirawans Winning Chess Openings , selected about 3 I liked for white, and 4 or 5 I liked with black, learned and memorized the main variations, and never had opening problems since.
    Memorizing openings will only get you so far. What you need to do is learn openings by playing through them and asking questions such as "Why can't black play X move here?" or "Why does the knight retreat here? or "What is white aiming for with this move?". That's how you learn openings.
  3. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    22 Jun '06 02:25
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Memorizing openings will only get you so far. What you need to do is learn openings by playing through them and asking questions such as "Why can't black play X move here?" or "Why does the knight retreat here? or "What is white aiming for with this move?". That's how you learn openings.
    Good posting that makes sense
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    22 Jun '06 02:37
    Until you've gained considerable experience, and perhaps after, you should play the Spanish and Queen's Gambit as white. Aim to activate your pieces, control the center, and reduce the vulnerability of your monarch.

Openings such as the King's Gambit and the Nakamura Foray are useful only when you have developed strong positional sense.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Jun '06 02:48
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Until you've gained considerable experience, and perhaps after, you should play the Spanish and Queen's Gambit as white. Aim to activate your pieces, control the center, and reduce the vulnerability of your monarch.

Openings such as the King's Gambit and the Nakamura Foray are useful only when you have developed strong positional sense.
    Possible...but that would mean I have strong positional sense, because, once again I seem to play best with the KG. (I don't actually have stats, so I may go look some up).
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Jun '06 02:49
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    Didn't we already tell you this is bad advice? Please, stop giving it.
  7. Oslo
    Moves
    22 Jun '06 08:21
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    To know openings is good. But after the opening is over you have to rely on yourself.

The more you know about tactics and strategy (like pawn structure, strong squares and such), the less you have to worry about openings.

A mistake an enthusiastic beginner often do is to memorize a lot of openings, not understanding them, and sacrifice tactics and s ...[text shortened]... do mistakes of that sole reason.

Think tactically, think strategically - that's my advice.
    Yeah, I find that I am fairly capable of moving logically and with purpose in the middlegame - if I can get through the opening stages without blocking in my officers or losing unexpected pawns. This remains my problem. Also, I find that I usually have much less problems playing as black, which of course indicates that I need to find an opening repertoire as white to be able to grasp control of the game from the off. As it is I'm usually backpedalling from the 5th move and onwards.
  8. Joined
    26 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Jun '06 08:29
    In the beginning it's not important to know opening lines, concentrate on the endgame, that is much more important. Just follow some simple rules:

- open with d4 or e4 ( e4 is preferable )
    - bring out your knights to c3 and f3
    - after your knights are out then the bishops
    - castle early
    - beware of opening tricks of the opponent
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    22 Jun '06 14:37
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Possible...but that would mean I have strong positional sense, because, once again I seem to play best with the KG. (I don't actually have stats, so I may go look some up).
    Perhaps your opponents just play a positioally poor game against the King's Gambit, or you win due to tactical blunders by your opponents.
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Jun '06 16:33
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Perhaps your opponents just play a positioally poor game against the King's Gambit, or you win due to tactical blunders by your opponents.
    I think it has to do with open positions. I play something like the English and struggle to find a solid attack, the games tend to be slower, more positional (not always, but usually), but when I picked up the KG everything opened up, I had space to attack, dominant central control after 5-7 moves and beautiful kingside attacks, while black is always sitting back defending. I still run into trouble every once in a while after saccing a knight only to find that I don't have a powerful attack to back that sacrifice! But, I'm learning...
  11. e4: owningthecenter
    Moves
    22 Jun '06 18:10
    www.beginnersgame.com
    All you need to know? It is a "Miracle Cure" for your opening problems. You'll never have to worry about the opeing again. He says so himself.
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Jun '06 22:16
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Well it is ironic that an e4 master would play c4..and if he is inexperienced, he will be playing inexperienced opponents. Not to mention that EVERY opening can backfire if you don't know what you are doing.

EDIT:How can you recommend an opening that you are struggling with? And why do you say the King's Gambit can "easily backfire for white" this is ...[text shortened]... erience with both the KG and English) I'd say any novice should choose between e4 and d4.
    Care to respond?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree