Novice openings with white - tips

Novice openings with white - tips

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oslo

Moves
20 Jun 06

Hello. I am a relative n00b, but seem to be playing reasonably well when with black. My opening repertoire with white however is completely non-existent and I tend to lose games when playing with white fairly clumsily.

Which white openings would be recommendable for me? Any thoughts?

N

Moves
20 Jun 06

Try g4, followed by either f4 or f3. 🙂

SS

Moves
20 Jun 06
1 edit

Oslo

Moves
20 Jun 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Nybble
Try g4, followed by either f4 or f3. 🙂
What a great and informative tip....🙂 I have played chess for a few years, but only now begun studying it half-properly. Any proper tips on useful openings I might try to study a bit would be greatly appreciated.

T

London

Moves
20 Jun 06

Originally posted by trigz76
What a great and informative tip....🙂 I have played chess for a few years, but only now begun studying it half-properly. Any proper tips on useful openings I might try to study a bit would be greatly appreciated.
It will be easier to comment on this when a few more of your public games are completed, could you bump the thread then?

Oslo

Moves
20 Jun 06

Originally posted by TommyC
It will be easier to comment on this when a few more of your public games are completed, could you bump the thread then?
Sure, maybe that's a good idea. Cheers 🙂

L

Moves
20 Jun 06

Hmm...I usually favour a fianchetto (g3, bg2) of the king's bishop unless black leaves f7 unguarded. 😉

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
20 Jun 06

It will be difficult for anyone to suggest an opening for you that will suit your style. What i might suggest is you simply play through some Grandmaster games, when you see something you like, give it a go.

You can find lot's of games on the net, from places like www.chessgames.com. However, i have found that playing through games out of the newspaper to be more beneficial. The reason for this is that you only have one game to look at, so you are bound to give it more of your attention. Also, the author of the column has generally picked the most interesting game from a tournament, one which has a beutiful ending or a stunning sacrafice. I used to work in a pub a couple of years ago and i would rip the chess column out of the paper every day (no one else ever read it 😉). It did my game the world of good. 🙂

Once you have explored a few ideas and think you have found an opening that suits you, then look into it in more detail. Don't waste your time trying to learn an opening that doesn't suit you! Don't be afraid to experiment, you'll be a better player for it in the long run. 😉

S

Moves
20 Jun 06

I have a very Simple tip....

Use an Opening book - (chessgames.com)

Its not cheating and using it will help you see a few *possible* moves ahead, furthermore, by following the book it will stop you from making a mistake in the opening.

one word of warning through, If the opening book suggests a sacrifice only ever play it if you have a STRONG UNDERSTANDING about why its a good move....

z

Moves
20 Jun 06

I suggest that you play 1.e4 and play the scotch game against 1...e5, the tarrasch against 1...e6 and an open sicillain against 1...c5.

Really though, just choose 1.e4 or 1.d4 and start experimenting. Reference a database if you can, but don't base your play only on the winning percentage of that line, but rather on weather you 1. understand the idea and 2. like the idea.

c

Moves
21 Jun 06

Originally posted by zebano
I suggest that you play 1.e4 and play the scotch game against 1...e5, the tarrasch against 1...e6 and an open sicillain against 1...c5.

Really though, just choose 1.e4 or 1.d4 and start experimenting. Reference a database if you can, but don't base your play only on the winning percentage of that line, but rather on weather you 1. understand the idea and 2. like the idea.
Hmm, maybe but why not go for a King's Gambit against 1.e5?!

z

Moves
21 Jun 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
Hmm, maybe but why not go for a King's Gambit against 1.e5?!
I like the KG, but when I first learned there were formalized openings, I quite my giuco piano and started playing the KG with some success. I then switched to the scotch which really emphasized ideas on how to develop and play dynamically then when I switched back to the KG, I found a lot more success. I just think the scotch game is one of the best ways to easily learn general opening principals and good middlegame play.

e

Moves
21 Jun 06
1 edit

Originally posted by zebano
I like the KG, but when I first learned there were formalized openings, I quite my giuco piano and started playing the KG with some success. I then switched to the scotch which really emphasized ideas on how to develop and play dynamically then when I switched back to the KG, I found a lot more success. I just think the scotch game is one of the best ways to easily learn general opening principals and good middlegame play.
true, but if he is as new as he says, then learning the KG (which can easily backfire for white) could be dangerous for him, especially when black accepts and holds the pawn

Edit: After messing around with different openings for a month to a year, i would recomend trying the c4 english, its fun, and it throws a surprise for alot of people.

c

Moves
21 Jun 06
2 edits

Originally posted by e4master
true, but if he is as new as he says, then learning the KG (which can easily backfire for white) could be dangerous for him, especially when black accepts and holds the pawn

Edit: After messing around with different openings for a month to a year, i would recomend trying the c4 english, its fun, and it throws a surprise for alot of people.
Well it is ironic that an e4 master would play c4..and if he is inexperienced, he will be playing inexperienced opponents. Not to mention that EVERY opening can backfire if you don't know what you are doing.

EDIT:How can you recommend an opening that you are struggling with? And why do you say the King's Gambit can "easily backfire for white" this isn't any more true for the KG than any other opening, including the english. In fact my record is better with the KG than it was with the English From my experience (and I have experience with both the KG and English) I'd say any novice should choose between e4 and d4.

F

Moves
21 Jun 06

To know openings is good. But after the opening is over you have to rely on yourself.

The more you know about tactics and strategy (like pawn structure, strong squares and such), the less you have to worry about openings.

A mistake an enthusiastic beginner often do is to memorize a lot of openings, not understanding them, and sacrifice tactics and strategies learning in the process. Don't do that mistake.

I myself don't know very much about openings and I manage to survive that opening faze. Perhaps my opponents are surprised of may lack of following the main roads confuses them to that extent that they do mistakes of that sole reason.

Think tactically, think strategically - that's my advice.