Only Chess 29 Jan '10 17:20
  1. Joined
    30 Jun '08
    Moves
    31 Jan '10 06:06
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    One day they will get around to translating '[b]Die Moderne Schachpartie'

It was Tarrash's mis-read comments about Blackburne (see his '300'😉 that
    turned the British, and so the English speakiing world, against Tarrasch.

It took them 100 years to get '300' into English and when one considers all
    the absolute total pap that has been passed o ...[text shortened]... y good players that there is a translated
    pirate copy out there somewhere.....Anybody?[/b]
    I thought Tarrasch's 'The Game Of The Chess' was the english translation of 'Die Moderne Schachpartie'. Am I wrong? Are they much different?
  2. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '10 13:00
    Originally posted by KneeCaps
    Hays Publishing has Tarrasch's 300 Games of Chess in paper back. If I'm not mistaken it's the only English version of this classic. It's in algebraic but I find it very annoying because it doesn't use the capture symbol. Instead of Nxe4 it's simply Ne4. Pawn captures are worse. ed4 instead of exd4. It takes some getting use to.
    I've ordered that one,only 14€ though shipping's another 11€ LOL
    Thanks for the tip!

I've seen that odd notation before,don't remember where.I see no problem with it.

Ne7 oh there's an enemy piece on e7 so it's a capture - no problem 🙂
  3. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '10 14:09
    I thought Tarrasch's 'The Game Of The Chess' was the english translation of 'Die Moderne Schachpartie'. Am I wrong? Are they much different?
    I'm afraid you're wrong.They are very different.

'The game of chess' is the translated version of 'Das Schachspiel' it's a complete guide to chess for beginners to intermediates.It starts with elementary mates (Q+K vs K etc) then treats endgames-middlegames-openings and finishes with 12 annotated games.

'Die Moderne Schachpartie' is a collection of some 200 of Tarrasch' games annotated by him.

For learning purposes both these books are supposed to be top-notch.I can attest this is true for 'the game of chess',I do not (yet) own the other one.
  4. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '10 17:29
    I stand corrected.
    A kind soul informed me Die Moderne Schachpartie is 223 games played by all the other great Masters of that period.
    Lasker, Capa, Reti, Janowski,Marshall etc.With a few of Tarrasch' games among them.

Thank you kind soul 🙂
  5. Joined
    30 Jun '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '10 04:43
    Originally posted by Ajuin
    I stand corrected.
    A kind soul informed me Die Moderne Schachpartie is 223 games played by all the other great Masters of that period.
    Lasker, Capa, Reti, Janowski,Marshall etc.With a few of Tarrasch' games among them.

Thank you kind soul 🙂
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. Well I'm with Greenpawn then. This book really needs to be translated into English.
  6. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    01 Feb '10 09:39
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. Well I'm with Greenpawn then. This book really needs to be translated into English.
    Most certainly.

If I emailed NIC or Sol Schwarz (who translated the 300 games book) with this suggestion,would they pay attention to it?Or just hit 'delete'?

Only one way to find out 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree