1. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 17:00
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Also, if they touch a piece, I will tell them by rule they must move that piece. You don't need to now, but just know "By rule you must move that piece".

If they argue either point, though I didn't force the issue I offer a 50 dollar bet if they like. They don't take the bet at that point.

P-
    I don't consider touch-move a rule as such (in the same way as en passant for example) but as a tournament convention. An entirely appropriate serious game convention but not a rule.

There are many types of game/opponents when I wouldn't consider the touch move rule necessary. There are no games when I would consider playing where en passant/castling etc didn't apply.

btw:
    I once played a guy who queried me promoting a pawn to a queen when it got to the 8th rank.

Problem soon solved - I just told him that was one of the rules of chess and we got on with it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree