Old Indian Defense

Old Indian Defense

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

Moves
05 Oct 08

(Without g6)
Does anyone play this currently?
I've seen a resurgence in the Philidor Hanham lately, and this is very similar.
I have one of the few (possibly only) books on the variation (1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 d6).

The (Not So) Old Indian By Andrew Soltis
74 Pages Published By Chess Digest in 1984

I'm sure someone must play this to avoid theory.
Any thoughts/ideas?

rc

Moves
05 Oct 08

Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
[pgn] 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 d6 3.Nc3 Nbd7 4.Nf3 e5 [/pgn]
(Without g6)
Does anyone play this currently?
I've seen a resurgence in the Philidor Hanham lately, and this is very similar.
I have one of the few (possibly only) books on the variation (1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 d6).

The (Not So) Old Indian By Andrew Soltis
74 Pages Published By Chess Digest in 1984

I'm sure someone must play this to avoid theory.
Any thoughts/ideas?
hi paul, the only time i have ever come across this myself was a game i was following, a computer vs human, Roman Dzindzichashvili played it as white with success! and although i know its a bit off topic, and this is in no way trying to hijack your thread, do you know of any resources that are specifically geared up to playing against computers, books, pamphlets etc - regards Robert.

p

Moves
05 Oct 08

No, I really don't. I once drew Fritz on my old computer. I think I made him weaker before the game, messing with the time controls. I set it for 400 moves in 20 minutes (or something similar) because I did not know how to make it game in 20. The game has a beautiful rook sacrifice that would have won if I hadn't taken the perpetual. Those sacrifices are quite easy to make. If you lose or it's wrong, no one ever sees the game. You just click new game and forget about it. The once in a while it is right though, you look like a genius. I will look for the game in a second. It is written down somewhere in this junk pile. 🙂
I remember someone beating the real Fritz engine regularly. I read an article online years ago. The opening was something like 1. e4 c5 2. Na3 ( and maybe Bc4 and Bxf7+). I remember white played some really weird moves before tearing the engine up. 🙂

FL

Moves
05 Oct 08

I've started using this defence over the last year or so. I find that a lot of White players play the following:

1. d4 nf6 2. c4 d6 3. Nc3 e5 4. dxe5 dxe5 5. Qxd8+ Kxd8 6. Bg5 c6 7. o-o-o+ Kc7

which I think is a very nice position for Black.

t

Moves
05 Oct 08

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
hi paul, the only time i have ever come across this myself was a game i was following, a computer vs human, Roman Dzindzichashvili played it as white with success! and although i know its a bit off topic, and this is in no way trying to hijack your thread, do you know of any resources that are specifically geared up to playing against computers, books, pamphlets etc - regards Robert.
The only "tactic" against computers is to avoid tactical lines and play deep positional moves that go beyond the engines calculation tree.

p

Moves
05 Oct 08

Originally posted by Fat Lady
I've started using this defence over the last year or so. I find that a lot of White players play the following:

1. d4 nf6 2. c4 d6 3. Nc3 e5 4. dxe5 dxe5 5. Qxd8+ Kxd8 6. Bg5 c6 7. o-o-o+ Kc7

which I think is a very nice position for Black.
I remember a similar Petrosian game with black in The Most Instructive Games Of Chess Ever Played. He just slowly picked white apart from one of those endings. I have seen two of his games with that variation. I can't remember where I saw the other one though.

FL

Moves
05 Oct 08

Originally posted by tomtom232
The only "tactic" against computers is to avoid tactical lines and play deep positional moves that go beyond the engines calculation tree.
That's what I thought as well, but recently in the OTB Club forum a highly rated player on this site was explaining that he likes to play open positions against people who he suspects are engine users. I was very surprised.

p

Moves
05 Oct 08

No, I really don't. I once drew Fritz on my old computer. I think I made him weaker before the game, messing with the time controls. I set it for 400 moves in 20 minutes (or something similar) because I did not know how to make it game in 20. The game has a beautiful rook sacrifice that would have won if I hadn't taken the perpetual. Those s ...[text shortened]... nd Bxf7+). I remember white played some really weird moves before tearing the engine up. 🙂
http://chessie.wordpress.com/2008/03/17/how-to-beat-chess-computers/

This may not be the exact article I saw, but 2.Na3 is featured in some games here.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
05 Oct 08

t

Moves
05 Oct 08

Originally posted by Fat Lady
That's what I thought as well, but recently in the OTB Club forum a highly rated player on this site was explaining that he likes to play open positions against people who he suspects are engine users. I was very surprised.
I guess his line of thinking is that hopefully the sheer number of possibilities will overwelm the engine while the human can cope since we have a more efficient way of choosing moves compared to an engine.

Even so you can have a positional and open game at the same time. Open doesn't always mean tactical.

p

Moves
05 Oct 08

Posted on the wrong thread. LOL
Me Vs Altered Fritz 5 (200 moves in 30 minutes on Windows 95)

As it turns out 22. Rxd7 !! is a real beauty.
In the actual game I missed a win. I will post in just a second.
🙂

p

Moves
05 Oct 08

Here is what Fritz showed me after the game.

Obviously not my own analysis.
29. Nf6+ !! was the real killer.

p

Moves
05 Oct 08

In digging out this game, I went through one of my boxes of random chess junk. I just unearthed my The Ruy Lopez Exchange Variation For Black. I took all the published analysis from all of my books and tried to find the absolute best antidote for black. After deciding on the line I liked, I wrote myself a complete repertoire using the analysis. I even made little footnotes of what games to study and where they are in the books I own. 🙂

On another sheet, I found some of my own Wing Gambit analysis. I couldn't get the line to work though.

In my notes, I have 7.e6 f6/ 13. Ra3 !?.
I guess I was just playing around.

Here's a few TN's I thought up. They really are quite awful.
1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qa5 4.d4 c5 (?)
1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.exd5 cxd5 4.c4 e5 (?) 5.dxe5 d4 6.Nf3 Nc6 is the same as an Albin (1.d4 d5 2.c4 e5 3.dxe5 d4 4.Nf3 c5 (?!) 5.e3 Nc6 6.exd4 cxd4) 7.Bd3 Nxe5 8.Qe2 f6 Great For White

t

Moves
05 Oct 08
1 edit

Posted on the wrong thread. LOL
Me Vs Altered Fritz 5 (200 moves in 30 minutes on Windows 95)

[pgn] [Event "Me VS Fritz"] [Site "Home"] [Date "?"] [Round "?"]
[White "Me"] [Black "Fritz"] [Result "1/2-1/2"] 1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Nxc3 e6 5.Bc4 Nc6 6.Nf3 a6 7.O-O Nge7 8.Qe2 b5 9.Bb3 Bb7 10.Be3 Na5 11.Bc2 Rc8 12.Rfd1 Nc4 13.Bc1 Qc7 14.B ...[text shortened]... l beauty.
In the actual game I missed a win. I will post in just a second.
🙂
I have seen sacrifices like this crop up quite often. Deflecting the king from the defense of a critical square/s

p

Moves
05 Oct 08

Here's a super crazy 5 minute game. I played it a year or so ago at FICS. I was black.

Here's some post game analysis. 12. ... Bxg2+ ! / 13. ... Qe4+ ! / 14. ... Qxc4 ? / 17. Qb7+ ? / 17-21 all ! for black. Black mates in 8 or so in the final position.

Also 14. ... g5 ! and mates if I'm not mistaken.

17. b3! is better, although white is busted there too.