1. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    08 Mar '15 17:23
    Vassily Ivanchuk has just won the Petrov's Memorial super-GM Rapid tournament (without a loss). He is 46 yrs. old...his Rapid rating went to 2834.
    It was 11 rounds of play. Amazing---so even all you older guys here on RHP still have a chance for good results....
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Mar '15 22:37
    Originally posted by woadman
    Vassily Ivanchuk has just won the Petrov's Memorial super-GM Rapid tournament (without a loss). He is 46 yrs. old...his Rapid rating went to 2834.
    It was 11 rounds of play. Amazing---so even all you older guys here on RHP still have a chance for good results....
    At 46 he is a youngster!
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 12:16
    How old are you Woady?
  4. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 12:29
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    How old are you Woady?
    I've heard people say that you only grow old on the outside. I'm young at heart, mate....
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 13:09
    I've heard people say that you only grow old on the outside. I'm young at heart, mate....
    So am I but my ACTUAL heart is 73 years old. How bout you?
  6. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 13:30
    Forgot to mention that Boris Gelfend (46) tied for second place...Can you name any other sport/game where "older" players are still doing so well ? That's another reason chess is best !
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 20:53
    Can you name any other sport/game where "older" players are still doing so well ? That's another reason chess is best !
    billard,
    bridge,
    petanque,
    bowling,
    poker,
    snooker,
    curling,
    dart poker,
    hazena,
    korfball

Those sports has that peculiar characteristic, that it's possible to older /and sometime to an amateur/ to vhallenge world champion and - win.

Unlike top sport for younsters connected with physical skills /and dopping/, chess and other listed sports are for bonvivans, retired people, odd folks who wear funny cloths and speak with themselves...
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 22:38
    and pickado
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 10:56
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    billard,
    bridge,
    petanque,
    bowling,
    poker,
    snooker,
    curling,
    dart poker,
    hazena,
    korfball

Those sports has that peculiar characteristic, that it's possible to older /and sometime to an amateur/ to vhallenge world champion and - win.

Unlike top sport for younsters connected with physical skills /and dopping/, chess and other listed spor ...[text shortened]... are for bonvivans, retired people, odd folks who wear funny cloths and speak with themselves...
    And tittliewinks.
  10. Joined
    15 Aug '12
    Moves
    17 Mar '15 23:23
    Forgot to mention that Boris Gelfend (46) tied for second place...Can you name any other sport/game where "older" players are still doing so well ? That's another reason chess is best !
    An ancient Proverb-

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill."

On a serious note: me being 46 feels old but it is not actually very old!
  11. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    18 Mar '15 11:04
    Anand is an elderly player of 45 years.
    -
    amazing isn't?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree