1. Joined
    04 Sep '07
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 14:23
    Maybe someone can enlighted me. What possible satisfaction could
    someone derive from cheating with a chess engine? For most, if not
    all of us, chess is a hobby which we do because we love chess, and enjoy the mental stimulation. There is no money or glory in it, even
    for most grandmasters. Any theories on the mentality of cheaters?
  2. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 14:24
    Originally posted by davidgrayson
    all of us, chess is a hobby which we do because we love chess, and enjoy the mental stimulation. There is no money or glory in it, even
    Ask User 67374
  3. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 14:27
    Maybe because they wish to susbstitute themselves for the engine?
  4. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 14:29
    i believe it's people who have always said they were good at chess, when the topic of chess is talked about amongst mere mortals...some guys claim they are good.

but....when it comes to playing someone who studies....they quickly see they are barely 1300.

and so....they fool themselves with the advice from an engine.

2 months ago i met a man who apparently his whole life was telling people he was good.

I destroyed him. i had harder times against 6 year olds in the park.

that man is the perfect type to cheat.

i dunno....i'm rambling...
  5. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 14:31
    i can't fathom what they think they get from cheating......

it's a mystery.

thats like asking a serial killer why he kills. they just do.
  6. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 14:38
    Sometimes I play against computer after setting a particular position. For example, I set fried liver atack and see how computer plays against it. I try to remember computer's moves in that situations. Now, if I do those moves in my games here on RHP can anything unpleasant happen to me. I don't think I'd have many moves similar to computer's, maybe only several in only some games.
  7. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 14:43
    I think in the end it comes down to making up for some sort of inadequacy, either in maturity, self-esteem, industriousness, or all of the above.
  8. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 14:48
    i also think it's our doctors and lawyers and such who think they are smarter than most people.

but when they discover they totally blow at chess they don't understand why.

so they cheat.

Chess has nothing to do with being smart. I know a crazy bum who wets himself....yet he beats me every game.

ya i'm only 1400 but still.
  9. Joined
    04 Sep '07
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 15:30
    Originally posted by Guych
    Sometimes I play against computer after setting a particular position. For example, I set fried liver atack and see how computer plays against it. I try to remember computer's moves in that situations. Now, if I do those moves in my games here on RHP can anything unpleasant happen to me. I don't think I'd have many moves similar to computer's, maybe only several in only some games.
    There's nothing wrong with that. You are not using the computer in
    a game.
  10. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '07 07:12
    There's nothing wrong with that. You are not using the computer in
    a game.
    id still be carefull if i were you from my understanding one way cheats are detected is by analysing their moves and comparing them to the ones engines make if you are making alot of similar ones it may appear that you are cheating to the mods....
  11. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '07 09:05
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    i also think it's our doctors and lawyers and such who think they are smarter than most people.

so they cheat.

Chess has nothing to do with being smart. I know a crazy bum who wets himself....yet he beats me every game.

Please don't make unsubstantiated, glib accusations. I reckon you've insulted quite a few people on this site.
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '07 09:25

so they cheat.

I think that's definitely stretching it. It's true that hard work is most important, but it's clear that intelligence plays an important role too. It's no mystery that Kasparov and Fischer both had very high IQs. Although it's true that IQ tests are very limited it is nonetheless suggestive.
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    10 Nov '07 12:47
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I think that's definitely stretching it. It's true that hard work is most important, but it's clear that intelligence plays an important role too. It's no mystery that Kasparov and Fischer both had very high IQs. Although it's true that IQ tests are very limited it is nonetheless suggestive.
    oppenheimer.
  14. Joined
    06 Sep '07
    Moves
    10 Nov '07 13:11
    i believe it's people who have always said they were good at chess, when the topic of chess is talked about amongst mere mortals...some guys claim they are good.

but....when it comes to playing someone who studies....they quickly see they are barely 1300.

and so....they fool themselves with the advice from an engine.

2 months ago i met a man w ...[text shortened]... year olds in the park.

that man is the perfect type to cheat.

i dunno....i'm rambling...
    You are describing me, (apart from the engine use) I spent a few years crushing my friends and people at my snooker club and genuinely believed myself to be good, thus I became quite confident in telling people I was good at chess, then one day I played a guy who remarked on my opening "ah the queens gambit accepted!"..... I thought .... err... yea... (having never studied openings I had no idea..) he subsequently crushed me.
    Fine I thought, I started playing on a chess site and discovered myself to be 1300 at best as you mentioned.
    Not really related to the thread as I did not begin using engines, I just began shutting up telling people I was good 🙂

Moral?

I guess it would be "there is always a bigger fish"

Ontopic, I dont know why people cheat either, it doesnt help their game and they dont really gain anything except a false rating.
  15. Vancouver, BC
    Moves
    10 Nov '07 21:24
    I guess if one's self-esteem was low enough, one could get some jollies by making other people feel inferior or at least by garnering some misplaced respect. It's really not about chess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree