1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Mar '20 21:23
    You have to be ready for a book. Books that are beyond you don't help.
  2. Joined
    02 Mar '20
    Moves
    05 Mar '20 21:41
    You are correct.
    Plenty of beginner books and plenty of advanced books.
    I am 1700 and that is a hard spot to find books for improvement.

Right now I am studying
    Find the right plan by Matsukevich
    and David vs Goliath chess by Soltis
    Both books are aimed at the 1600-2000 level.

If I had to pick one book it would be 500 master games of chess by Tartakower and Du Mont.
  3. Joined
    17 Apr '11
    Moves
    05 Mar '20 21:47
    Also check out Znosko-etc's How Not To Play Chess. The illustrative game in there was the first thing I can remember that showed me what a plan actually is.
  4. Joined
    02 Mar '20
    Moves
    05 Mar '20 22:10
    LOL
    Znosko-etc's
    Now that is funny!
    Chess humour always cracks me up!
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Mar '20 01:15
    @OmarCayenne

A plan? I have heard of a plan, but I do not think I really know how to come up with one.
  6. Joined
    17 Apr '11
    Moves
    06 Mar '20 01:29
    That's why I recommend Znosko. 🙂
  7. Kansas City area, MO
    Moves
    09 Mar '20 18:18
    Winning Chess - Chernev/Reinfeld
  8. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    09 Mar '20 21:55
    Capablanca's Last Chess Lectures
  9. Joined
    24 Dec '19
    Moves
    24 Mar '20 16:05
    @omarcayenne said
    Also check out Znosko-etc's How Not To Play Chess. The illustrative game in there was the first thing I can remember that showed me what a plan actually is.
    Just read this book and I agree wholeheartedly. A great and concise book. My copy is descriptive notation which is kind of annoying, not sure if it is available in algebraic.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Mar '20 21:381 edit
    @KingMe
    When I lived in Thailand I got Max Euwe two book combo, static features and dynamic features, middle game, and it was a hard study because of descriptive, I looked online at his books he must have 20 books written but I thought I learned a lot from those two books.
  11. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    27 Mar '20 16:131 edit
    Another set of books that I think are very valuable and also very underrated are 100 Chess Master Trade Secrets by GM Andrew Soltis and 300 Most Important Chess Positions by IM Thomas Engqvist.

Both books cover very valuable and extremely practical and useful pieces of chess learning, which can be immediately applied in games.

They are especially nice in that the information is broken down into small sections, so someone can digest the info in small parts over weeks or months. They are perfect for a systematic plan of study based on short time periods daily. I would start with Soltis and then go to Engqvist, as the Soltis book is a little shorter and simpler.

They are also both relatively inexpensive on Amazon, and that never hurts!
  12. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 22:472 edits
    @eladar said
    Hmm - I'm going to push back a little on that one. Bobby Fischer said the very first books he paid serious attention to as a boy were Russian chess books, these were supposed to be beyond him, but he said he learned a great deal from them. When I play over GM games from my old Informants, I usually learn 1-2 tactical ideas that were half forgotten, or new ideas I'd not considered before
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Mar '20 12:40
    @eladar said
    They can be interesting, though. I'm sure Mein System did nothing for my game, but I did enjoy reading it very much.

If you're reading a book just for the results, you're right, that doesn't help unless you're at the right level. Then again, I doubt you'd get the maximum out of a book anyway unless you also read it for the enjoyment.
  14. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Mar '20 12:51
    @sonhouse said
    @KingMe
    When I lived in Thailand I got Max Euwe two book combo, static features and dynamic features, middle game, and it was a hard study because of descriptive, I looked online at his books he must have 20 books written but I thought I learned a lot from those two books.
    20... I have way more than 20 books by Euwe and I don't have nearly everything there is! I love his writing style, but that's probably personal taste.

I wish someone would write opening books the way he did, but updated for modern knowledge. He tried to convey why you play a move without (obviously, given their age) merely resorting to "computer says +.03".
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Mar '20 12:55
    @mchill said
    I've only gone deeply into 30-40 chess books in my lifetime, but IMHO - Susan Polgar's - Chess Tactics for Champions
    I don't know what the greatest chess book ever is, but I've recently started dipping back into what may well be the largest: Susan's father's Chess Training in 5333+1 Positions. If it doesn't help you beat your opponent over the board, you can use it to break his skull.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree