29 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 14:57
    Cool! This game impressed me.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '08
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 15:21
    it seems that Black was betrayed by his mouse... (7. ... Kf8)
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 16:021 edit
    Originally posted by Macpo
    it seems that Black was betrayed by his mouse... (7. ... Kf8)
    No, that move appears on my database about 20 times, including two games from 1895 where Henry Bird was the black player, he won one and lost one. Black does that in a number of lines in the French Winawer, so I think it's reasonable enough.
  5. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 16:081 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    No, that move appears on my database about 20 times, including two games from 1895 where Henry Bird was the black player, he won one and lost one. Black does that in a number of lines in the French Winawer, so I think it's reasonable enough.
    In blitz it was a great idea, it's not as well traversed as the poisoned
    pawn, that would have been a bit of a shock in quick play I would think.
    Thats also why the game was impressive.

-GIN
  6. e4
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 16:171 edit
    Hmmm.....not bad....

Nice in-betweener on move 24.

Black faffed too much on the side you were attacking and each
    faff created anoterh weakness.

But not bad...... 8 of 10.

Lose two points because it was not a mate and you did not sac your Queen.
  7. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 16:55
    As an occasional player of the french that was painful to watch
  8. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 08:44
    Originally posted by Guych
    Cool! This game impressed me.
    Thanks ... I was going for total chaos. 🙂
  9. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 08:54
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hmmm.....not bad....

Nice in-betweener on move 24.

Black faffed too much on the side you were attacking and each
    faff created anoterh weakness.

But not bad...... 8 of 10.

Lose two points because it was not a mate and you did not sac your Queen.
    8 out of 10 Aint Bad !!! ... Someone caught me in this the other day:

I had to defend for a long time to win. Estrin only gives this a mere line, but Harding did write a nice column on it years ago. 6.d4! was the way to go.

While looking this up, I got caught Estrin's Two Knights analysis again.

On page 117 of Estrin's revised edition, there is some nice dialogue from both Chigorin and Steinitz on a particular position (from the Nh3 variation). Page 135 has a nice Petrosian quote too. My favorite though was page 130 (comments to Honfi-Tal). It took Honfi a mere 5 minutes to reach move 20. Tal, on the other hand, took an hour and a half. The book brielfy mentions the advantages of catching an opponent in a line that they haven't seen in years.

I remembered all the great analysis in the Estrin book, but I had forgotten it had all this wonderful commentary !
  10. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 10:22
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    Thanks ... I was going for total chaos. 🙂
    Dude, that game is like... totally awesome. You are a real blitz freak 🙂 I am impressed.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 12:102 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I don't understand how it's reasonable enough. I mean, I'm not claiming it was a mouse slip, it's been played 23 times in my database, but seriously, why does anyone play that?

I first thought black was afraid of a kingside attack starting with a possible Bxh7+ (after Bd3 and Nf3), followed with Ng5 and stuff, but g5 is defended more than enough, white doesn't have any immediate attack against the kingside.

(very nice game by the way.)
  12. e4
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 13:25
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    8 out of 10 Aint Bad !!! ... Someone caught me in this the other day:

[pgn] 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Ng5 Nxe4 5.Bxf7+ Ke7 6.d3 Nf6 7.Bb3 d5 [/pgn]

I had to defend for a long time to win. Estrin only gives this a mere line, but Harding did write a nice column on it years ago. 6.d4! was the way to go.

While looking this up, I got ...[text shortened]... great analysis in the Estrin book, but I had forgotten it had all this wonderful commentary !
    it's now 6 out of 10.

You lose 1pt for arguing and 1 pt for showing an unfinished game.
  13. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 13:334 edits
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    it's now 6 out of 10.

You lose 1pt for arguing and 1 pt for showing an unfinished game.
    OK ... I had to remember the game from scratch because I don't save many of my own games.

Here is how it went (I think):

15 0 Unrated

I really got busted up in the opening. I didn't feel the least bit comfortable for the entire game until 22.Bxh6.

Now give me one point back.

I wasn't arguing either, but I guess I am now so skip the other point.

7/10 wasn't bad. hehe
  14. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 13:565 edits
    If that wasn't dull enough for you, here's another really dully game where I got caught with a surprise in the opening.

Unrated Game In 20

White Disconnected/Game Aborted

3.h4 was a real surprise (although I remembered that Hodgson had gathered quite a few scalps with it).

4. ... Nxg5 was correct. I was worried that after 4. ... Nxg5 5.hxg5 I would have to keep constant watch on the g6 push. For instance, if it were white to move, 6.g6 fxg6 would be a difficult pawn sac to meet. Black has a crippled pawn structure and no control of the e5 square.
    5. ... Bf5 would solve the problems though and be ok for black.

Although, I didn't like pawn hunting with 11. ... Qa5+, I couldn't find another plan. I had a very cramped position with little play. I felt as though even the tiny imbalance of an extra queenside pawn could maybe make my position have slightly better chances.

In the final position, I was a little worried about 21.e4. I was going to play 21.e4 dxe4 22.fxe4 Bg4. I didn't even think about 21.e4 Bh7!? or 21.g4 !. After 21.g4 Bh7 still holds for black.

That was another really rough game where I had to play defense most of the time. Surprising moves in the opening can really shake someone up !!!

After the game, I ran to get my Gallagher book on the Trompowsky. In the chapter on h4, he tells the story of Hodgson-Gufeld. See Next Post
  15. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 14:053 edits
    Gufeld sat all alone on the stage an hour after this loss to Hodgson:

I even read a quote (possibly untrue) that had Gufeld saying to Hodgson about the game "This is poker, not chess." 🙂

Good Stuff

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree