1. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 19:14
    Blitz is horribly frustrating...but I find I've made about 300 points in progress in about three months. It still seems so sloppy though 😞.
  2. Joined
    25 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 19:20
    I went from ~1350 to ~1650 in about 6 months, and I only played about 35 or so games in that time. I have only lost 2 games in the last 35 or so, and have some additional wins on the way (a few that are troubling me).

Honestly, I believe my playing strength was always around where I am now anyway, but my discipline before was rather poor. A little more focus has helped me immensely. I'm currently concentrating on areas of difficulty in my game: endgames, middle game strategy in closed positions and finding a suitable opening.

I'm hoping to be 1900+ or so by the end of the year. We'll have to see where my current streak takes me. I think I'll end up ~1750 or so, and from there I'll have to work hard to get to 1900.
  3. back in business
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 19:56
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    1500 > 2000 10 years

2000 > 1500 10 minutes!
    in fact:

CTS 1600 -> 1750: about a year
    CTS 1750 -> 1650: about 15 minutes
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 21:22
    Originally posted by zebano
    I'm sure you've posted it elsewhere, but I'm lazy... What/how do you study?
    76 000 problems done on CTS and the games on RHP are pretty much what got me here. I've read also some basic stuff on positional play, like dan heisman's articles. also read some books the first 6 moths or so, but I doubt much of it has stuck.

now I'm doing CT-ART, study karsten müller's endgame dvds, and I've recently started drilling endgames with PCT (personal chess trainer) as well. I do CTS only for fun now, maybe 20-50 a day if I feel like it. I've also started playing 30 30 games daily on FICS.

that's about it, I think?
  5. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 21:33
    Originally posted by wormwood
    76 000 problems done on CTS and the games on RHP are pretty much what got me here. I've read also some basic stuff on positional play, like dan heisman's articles. also read some books the first 6 moths or so, but I doubt much of it has stuck.

now I'm doing CT-ART, study karsten müller's endgame dvds, and I've recently started drilling endgames with PCT ...[text shortened]... ike it. I've also started playing 30 30 games daily on FICS.

that's about it, I think?
    Impressive. I've never had a heavy tactical regimen, but I started somewhat recently over at CTS, so hopefully that helps. I also bought Reinfelds 1001 tactics (not the right name) which I do while sitting at my daughters door as she falls asleep (700 problems latter I've only a 66% success rate, so I definitely need to improve). What do you think of CT-Art?
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 22:032 edits
    Originally posted by zebano
    What do you think of CT-Art?
    the interface is messy, annoying and generally not very userfriendly. but you'll get used to it, excluding the occasional meltdowns when you're tired.

the problems are otherwise very nice, but not computer checked, so there are additional meltdowns waiting around the corner. - some people find the amount of queen sacs too much, but that particular thing doesn't bother me. - the problems are divided into 9 levels by difficulty, the first one being very easy. but already the second level is at times quite hard.

still, it's well worth its price I think, and I for one prefer drilling tactics on computer.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 22:46
    You may stay at 1100 forever, it's possible that's your personal best. No way of telling. BUT: Unless you're a total retard at chess with no aptitude for the game, you should be able to break 1400 in a year with no problem.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree