Online Resources for learning openings?

Online Resources for learning openings?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f

Moves
19 Oct 10

Can anyone recommend any good ones? I'm severely lacking in opening theory - time to do something about it.

R

Kronoberg

Moves
19 Oct 10

Wikipedia is ok, they suggest some common lines, generally a sample game, and occasional traps.

Chessgames.com have an opening explorer, but it doesn't go very deep unless you're a member ($29/year).

I don't know about the features on playchess, perhaps someone can enlighten us.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
19 Oct 10

Originally posted by filtay
Can anyone recommend any good ones? I'm severely lacking in opening theory - time to do something about it.
whatever material you end up with, put it all into http://www.chesspositiontrainer.com/ and drill the hell out of it. otherwise you'll just forget it all in a few weeks.

when it comes to the openings, understanding the ideas behind the positions is the king. BUT you can't get away without a certain amount of memorizing. either by playing thousands of games or drilling the openings, one way or other you'll need to do the legwork until you'll come to know your openings. best is doing both.

t

Moves
19 Oct 10

Originally posted by wormwood
whatever material you end up with, put it all into http://www.chesspositiontrainer.com/ and drill the hell out of it. otherwise you'll just forget it all in a few weeks.

when it comes to the openings, understanding the ideas behind the positions is the king. BUT you can't get away without a certain amount of memorizing. either by playing thousands of gam ...[text shortened]... r you'll need to do the legwork until you'll come to know your openings. best is doing both.
Wow, that looks like a good program right there. Thanks for the link.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
19 Oct 10

Originally posted by tomtom232
Wow, that looks like a good program right there. Thanks for the link.
it's a bit klunky at times, but it's free and does its job.

rc

Moves
19 Oct 10

Originally posted by wormwood
it's a bit klunky at times, but it's free and does its job.
it had some interesting bishops opening lines i never seen before, i love it when it gives you a clap and plays a little tune if you get twenty consecutive correct moves, better than a hand coming out of the monitor and slapping you on the side of the head!