1. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 17:28
    This game is one of my first tries at an open sicilian.Before I've been playing the rossolimo and moscow variations and also had a grand prix period.I have no opening books on the sicilian so could use some tips.

Some game events I have questions about:
    1) 5....,a6 is that normal?Does black fear Bb5+?
    2) 6.Be2 good?or too modest?
    3) 7.Nb3 good?My first reaction was to retreat to f3 but for some reason I discarded that.Forgot why,I really need to write down my thoughts.
    4) 10.f4!? is this good?I played it because I didn't know what else to do.Maybe my brain fell back into GP mode
    5) 18.Qxd6 allows 18....,Be5 winning the exchange so not such a great idea.I guess 18.Qd2 was called for.

That's about it.Any input appreciated.Also if you notice other errors of course.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 17:421 edit
    Originally posted by Ajuin
    I have no opening books on the sicilian so could use some tips.
    First tip: get some books. 😛
  3. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 19:11
    Originally posted by Ajuin

1) 5....,a6 is that normal?Does black fear Bb5+?
    Yes and yes. One of the main ideas of the Najdorf (5. ... a6) is that Black wants to play an immediate ... e5 but White can respond with a nasty check 6. Bb5+.

There's nothing wrong with 6. Be2 (although there are other ways of playing of course) and from a quick scan it looks like you followed a book line until you played 11. Rxf4.

Recapturing with the rook has to be wrong because it exposes the rook (e.g. to that fork you've already spotted yourself).
  4. e4
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 20:39
    Yeah if ...e5 without ....a6 then 6.Bb5+ and Nf5 is good for White.
    It's not fatal but gives Black an awkward postion loaded with tricks for White.

Black cannot live with that Knight on f5 so has to kick it with g6 and then
    the weakness of d5 hitting f6 gives more headaches.

This game Tkachiev,V - Pages,J 2004 (below) is a good example of what
    can happen with some nice tactical tricks, twice exploiting an overloaded King.

If you are going to play an open Sicilian then get tooled up. Especially v
    The Dragon and The Najdorf two of the most heavily analysed openings
    in the game. Good Luck.

5. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 21:15
    Ten bookmoves.So that leaves only my 18th move mistake.Great 😞

Nice game you showed,Mr pawn.Don't fancy spending my time tooling up though.Perhaps I'd better stick with my Bb5 stuff and only use the open in friendly games.Maybe also play the open against 2...,e6.

Thank you both for the explanations.I had spent some time figuring out what was the problem with allowing a check on b5 but didn't get it.
  6. Standard memberBorgov
    King-Flicker
    Leeds, UK.
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 21:37
    Personally I think 6.Be2 was a little modest yeah - I tend to play Be3 in that position and get into systems where white castles Queenside and starts a Kingside attack - because if Black is going to castle in the Najdorf it has to be Kingside. Also I don’t think the f4 break did you any favours really.

But whatever, you won!
  7. e4
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 21:48
    I've stayed with the 3.Bb5 'stuff' for about 20 years now and enjoy the positions
    I get. v 2...e6 3.b4 is good fun.

Playing an open Sicilian v a good player is playing into their hands as most (all)
    good players spend more time on their Black openings than they do with their
    White's.

I can see a day when the move 3.d4 in a Sicilian will get a ?!

White usually wins the under 25 move games and Black the longer games which
    gives the indication that 3.d4 may be suspect if Black can avoid an early bath.

Maybe one of the lads with Fritz12 or R3 can switch off of the Box's book and
    see what it thinks is the best 3rd move after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6. (give it 5 minutes).
  8. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 00:481 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I've stayed with the 3.Bb5 'stuff' for about 20 years now and enjoy the positions
    I get. v 2...e6 3.b4 is good fun.

Playing an open Sicilian v a good player is playing into their hands as most (all)
    good players spend more time on their Black openings than they do with their
    White's.

I can see a day when the move 3.d4 in a Sicilian will get a k and
    see what it thinks is the best 3rd move after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6. (give it 5 minutes).
    After 18 mins (19 moves deep), D4 is best at +0.56

2nd +0.43 Bb5+
    3rd +0.40 Bc4
    4th +0.40 Nc3
    5th +0.33 h3 (!)

drops down somewhat fast afterwards

If I were an e4 player I'd probably play some undiscovered h3 action now!
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 02:03
    Originally posted by Maxacre42
    5th +0.33 h3 (!)
    and this, ladies and gentlemen, is why engines need opening books built by humans. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree