1. London
    Moves
    12 Apr '07 08:431 edit
    The Trompovsky Attack: I find this a dynamic opening that invites creative play on both sides:

1.d4 some call this dull - but I don't - dull or not depends on what you do with it. 1.d4 opens the b1-h6 diagonal for whites dark squared bishop and moves a defended (by the queen) pawn to occupy the centre.

2....Nf6 flexible response possibly thinking of a Nimzo Indian defense (1.d4...Nf6, 2.c4...e6)

2.Bg5 apparently breaking the knights before Bishops rule - but if this rule is just an extension of the idea to "only develop a piece when you can be sure of finding it's best square" as John Emms suggests in his recent book "Discovering Chess Openings" then the move does have some credibility because it is attacking the knight on f6 and this fact makes it a reasonable square to develop the Bishop to.

2....Ne4 Blacks not having this so jumps out of the way wasting a tempo but forcing white to do the same as the knight now attacks the undefended Bishop. (Other black responses here are; 2....c5 - then white takes the Bishop on f6, 2...e6 blacks 2nd most popular response often followed by 3.e4...d5 where black may attempt to steer the game towards the French Defence)

3.Bf4 a move now favored over retreating the Bishop to h4 which used to be played in the early days of this opening...Bh4 does still have it's adherents and there is debate about the relative benefits of both moves. So after 3. Bf4 "we can ask ourselves how is the battle of tempi unfolding?" to quote Peter Wells from his excellent book on the Trompowsky.

3...c5 a dark squared response aiming at d4 (3...d5 is an alternative.)

4.f3 Kicking the knight

4....Qa5+ PW's book again: "the most frequently encountered and most respectable move here. White is all but forced to block the check with the c pawn, removing the most natural developing square from the b1 knight."

5.c2...Nf6, 6.d5...d6, 7e4...g6, 8. Qd2....Bg7

An alternative line is 6....Qb6, 7.Bc1...e6 which leads to "tense theoretical battles" so the line given above is suggested as being easier for black to play.
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    12 Apr '07 12:54
    Originally posted by RahimK
    You must play the black side of the french right?

What about:

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. Bd2 dxe4 5. Qg4

[b]Qxd4
    Capturing the d-pawn and protecting the g7 pawn.

6. Nf3 6... Nh6 7. Qxe6+ Bxe6 8. Nxd4 Bd7 9. Nxe4 Bxd2+ 10. Nxd2 Nc6 11. Nxc6 Bxc6

Looks dead even after those trades.

Thanks[/b]
    I believe that's playable, I just don't have the time to learn more than one line and mine is wild enough to provide many many interesting games.
    For instance..
    Game 2504018
  3. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    12 Apr '07 12:55
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    You gave e6!? πŸ™ Maybe I'll start playing something else... πŸ˜€
    It's not dubious, I just wanted to comment on how it is a little bit odd to lock you bishop out of the game on the second move.
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Apr '07 23:47
    Originally posted by zebano
    I believe that's playable, I just don't have the time to learn more than one line and mine is wild enough to provide many many interesting games.
    For instance..
    Game 2504018
    I find Bd2 odd and it doesn't offer white much. I've never seen it played before but I don't play the french much.

I used to play Winawer but played 4.e5 after 3...Bc3.

Now it's the Tarrasch.

You got a nice attack out of the opening in that game.
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Apr '07 23:54
    Originally posted by Mahout
    The Trompovsky Attack: I find this a dynamic opening that invites creative play on both sides:

1.d4 some call this dull - but I don't - dull or not depends on what you do with it. 1.d4 opens the b1-h6 diagonal for whites dark squared bishop and moves a defended (by the queen) pawn to occupy the centre.

2....Nf6 flexible response possibly thinking of a N ...[text shortened]... l battles" so the line given above is suggested as being easier for black to play.
    Cool,

I got some nice lines against the Tromp. as Black.

Similiar line compared to yours also except

6...Qb6 7.b3 instead of Bc1.

Then black can play 7...g6, Bg7, 0-0, with a Kings Indian type position.
  6. London
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 05:58
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Cool,

I got some nice lines against the Tromp. as Black.

Similiar line compared to yours also except

6...Qb6 7.b3 instead of Bc1.

Then black can play 7...g6, Bg7, 0-0, with a Kings Indian type position.
    OK - first do please excuse me from quoting from a book as I'm studying this so I looked up a response to 7.b3 instead of Bc1 and theres a lot of ideas presented in Peter Wells book... but here's an extract:

"7.Bc1 Of course this outrageous un-developing move rarely passes without comment.....in reality such a move as 7.Bc1 can only fully be explained in terms of the deficiencies of the alternatives....7.b3!? is much more interesting (than another alternative I've not typed out!), and a major line in it's own right. I do not feel that I can recommend it though for the very concrete reasons that after 7...e6! (Of course 7...g6!? is also a valid reaction to the weakening of the c3 square) 8.e4...exd5, 9.exd5...Bd6! 10.Bg5!?...Be7

while I accept that whites space advantage can offer him rather pleasant prospects if he can mobilise I do not see how he can do this without quite tangible inconvenience."

and it goes on to give some examples of development from here...

I've had to miss out some variations for brevity... and I've a way to go with my study to grasp the ideas properly but I can't help liking the Tromp!
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    14 Apr '07 02:30
    Originally posted by Mahout
    OK - first do please excuse me from quoting from a book as I'm studying this so I looked up a response to 7.b3 instead of Bc1 and theres a lot of ideas presented in Peter Wells book... but here's an extract:

"7.Bc1 Of course this outrageous un-developing move rarely passes without comment.....in reality such a move as 7.Bc1 can only fully be explained in ...[text shortened]... way to go with my study to grasp the ideas properly but I can't help liking the Tromp!
    Interesting, I've never seen 7.Bc1 or heard of anyone recommending it till now.

I got my lines from a Roman Lab Dvd.

Well good luck learning the TrompπŸ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree