1. washington
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 03:25
    So what grand masters use this system? at the top levels nobody seems to want to play that way with white. There must be a reason 🙄
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 03:52
    Originally posted by kmac27
    So what grand masters use this system? at the top levels nobody seems to want to play that way with white. There must be a reason 🙄
    I suspect that any GM who played the Curry Opening would be sued for malpractice.

IMO, the reason GM's seldom play stodgy stuff like the London System, Colle System, Torre Attack, etc., is that getting an opening advantage is a major asset in games between top players. And highly speculative (read : "dubious"😉 gambits like the BDG don't work very well at high levels because the standard of defensive play is very high. I win a lot of games in blitz with the BDG just by being familiar with the recurring patterns. If my opponent's spent as much time finding defenses to the BDG as I spend studying it from the White side, I'd probably lose many more games games with it than I do now, and I might start playing something else at least some of the time.

Since I don't see myself playing any GM's soon, I'll happily continue winning games with the BDG.
  3. Joined
    21 Aug '07
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 04:08
    For the majority of us, whether we come out +=, = or -= really isn't going to make a significance difference in the score. Personally, for regular long time control OTB games, I prefer theoretically supported lines, but I think that what matters more is who is more prepared, not so much the opening in question.

In blitz/bullet, however, EVERY opening has practical chances, at all levels. How many of you play 1.e4 e5 2. Qg5+ ? probably not too many. Well Hikaru Nakamura does.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 04:31
    Originally posted by jnguyen
    For the majority of us, whether we come out +=, = or -= really isn't going to make a significance difference in the score. Personally, for regular long time control OTB games, I prefer theoretically supported lines, but I think that what matters more is who is more prepared, not so much the opening in question.

In blitz/bullet, however, EVERY opening has ...[text shortened]... els. How many of you play 1.e4 e5 2. Qg5+ ? probably not too many. Well Hikaru Nakamura does.
    I completely agree with your first paragraph.

The "Nakamura Attack" is 1 e4 e5 2 Qh5. And he played it at least once in a regular tournament game. (He lost that game.)
  5. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 04:37
    Originally posted by jnguyen How many of you play 1.e4 e5 2. Qg5+ ? probably not too many. Well Hikaru Nakamura does.[/b]
    I’d guess the same thing! But that may be because its an illegal move, and there is no check.
  6. Joined
    21 Aug '07
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 04:41
    Originally posted by peacedog
    I’d guess the same thing! But that may be because its an illegal move, and there is no check.
    You're right my bad, I was meaning to put Qh5? not sure what the heck I was thinking.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree