1. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '08 19:01
    Hello,

I know this is probably a question that can't be answered fully, but I'm looking for recommendations on openings that "tend" to lead to either quick endgames or are advantageous to a good endgame player (or at least somebody who enjoys endgames like I do!). Note: I have just gotten back into chess over the last few months, and am concentrating mainly on Tactics and positional skills, but my opening play has cost me in the last 2 OTB games I played at my local club, so I do need to get a reliable repertoire going.

As black, I mainly play the Caro-Kann against 1.e4 (I feel the Caro is solid, but can be either tactical or positional, and I like the balance), and the QGD, Tartakower var. against 1.d4. As white, I like 1.e4 and don't mind a tactical, open game. I don't trust my closed game positional skills yet, but I do not find slow positional games boring (I think all types of games are fun!).

As white, I am looking into adding the Ruy Lopez exchange, and the Scotch game, though I am nervous in the Scotch because it seems like it can be "too" tactical and if I'm not prepared, will get creamed; though I have read that some variations lead to good endgames.

As black I am thinking about the Queen's gambit Accepted against the 1.d4 QG. I have looked over some Anand games and it seems like the QGA can be solid and dynamic, which I like.

Note: I do not blindly play for endgames all the time and I understand the the position dictates how play should proceed, I'm just looking for a repertoire that "generally" leads to those kind of positions.

Now your advice! An comments on the above or recommendations would be great! Thanks!
  2. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    06 Apr '08 20:12
    Originally posted by passedpawn22
    Hello,

I know this is probably a question that can't be answered fully, but I'm looking for recommendations on openings that "tend" to lead to either quick endgames or are advantageous to a good endgame player (or at least somebody who enjoys endgames like I do!). Note: I have just gotten back into chess over the last few months, and am concentrating ...[text shortened]... ow your advice! An comments on the above or recommendations would be great! Thanks!
    Queen's gambit Accepted definitely is not the best choice for positional endgame player. QGD Lasker is much better choice.

If you like to play 1.e4 then against 1...c5 I would recommend 2.c3. Against 1....e6 or 1...c6 - 2.d3. Against 1...e5 2.Bc4 with d3, Nf3, 0-0.
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 22:19
    passedpawn22: There is a book, "From the Opening into the Endgame" by GM Edmar Mednis, which I suspect you would find most relevant to your question. It discusses various openings (from the White point of view) which often turn into early endgames. The openings discussed are:
    Ruy Lopez: Exchange Variation
    Sicilian Defense: Dragon Variation
    Sicilian Defense: Accelerated Dragon Variation
    French Defense: Tarrasch Variation
    Pirc Defense: Normal Variation
    Modern Defense: Averbach Variation
    King's Indian Defense: Normal Variation
    Grunfeld Defense: Modern Exchange Variation
    Queen's Indian Defense: Normal Variation
    English/Reti Opening: Mutual Double Fianchetto
    English Opening: Andersson-Book Line

If anybody is interested in purchasing this book, I have a copy in very good condition which I would be willing to sell at a slight discount relative to what it is going for on Amazon.com. Only restriction is that I will only ship it to an address in the U.S. or Canada. If interested, send me a PM.
  4. Joined
    16 May '07
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 23:37
    Originally posted by passedpawn22
    Hello,

I know this is probably a question that can't be answered fully, but I'm looking for recommendations on openings that "tend" to lead to either quick endgames or are advantageous to a good endgame player (or at least somebody who enjoys endgames like I do!). Note: I have just gotten back into chess over the last few months, and am concentrating ...[text shortened]... ow your advice! An comments on the above or recommendations would be great! Thanks!
    k to get the queens off the board fast as black play
    1.e4 d6 2.d4 e5 3.dxe5 dxe5 4.Qxd8 Kxd8
    it is solid for black except you cant castle

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree