1. Joined
    08 Mar '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 21:14
    I and my friend danhe just finished this game:

Game 2467923

He offered a draw and I accepted it. Was he right in offering the draw? Was I right in accepting it? I'm grateful for any opinion! This is my first drawn game ever.
  2. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 21:221 edit
    I'm afraid you missed out on a win there.

In the end position white's king is stuck. He can't move past the fourth rank to attack the a5 pawn, because he can't then stop the b-pawn queening. Similarly, he can't move to the other side of the board.

So you could just send you king to the other side, and pick off white's pawns without opposition. If he moves his king over as well, push the b-pawn and he has to go back.
  3. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 21:241 edit
    Originally posted by joen

Game 2467923

He offered a draw and I accepted it. Was he right in offering the draw? Was I right in accepting it? I'm grateful for any opinion! This is my first drawn game ever.
    Just bxa3 (en passant) and then while white is looking after blacks two queenside pawns just shuffle your king over to the kingside and go for a happy meal on whites pawns there. 🙂

Position after bxa3 🙂

4. Joined
    19 Sep '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 21:48
    Right. We know how Black wins. But how does Black LOSE the game?

1. ... g6? loses by force to g5! Now either way Black takes, White makes an Queen WITHOUT the aid of the King. White mops up the pawns and gets a win.

Not that this is very relevant, but it shows where Black can go wrong.
  5. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 22:46
    Originally posted by darkguy00000

1. ... g6? loses by force to g5! Now either way Black takes, White makes an Queen WITHOUT the aid of the King. White mops up the pawns and gets a win.

You sure about that? 🙂

It works if the pawns are shifted forward a row. But after 1...g6 2.g5 hxg5 3.f4 gxh4 (or gxf5) and black queens as well, immediately after white. Which looks pretty drawish to me.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 00:02
    Originally posted by darkguy00000

No, this is refuted by 2...fxg5! 3.h5 gxh5! 4.f5 Kc6, and Black's King is in the 'square' of the pawn, so he still wins.
  7. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 09:481 edit
    Originally posted by joen

Game 2467923

bxa ep is a simple win. White has to play Kb3 or the a pawn will queen and then has to deal with the remaining a pawn whilst Black simply mops up whites Q-side pawns and wins.

When one side has a protected passed pawn (as here) it is usually good enough to win even if material is equal because the weaker sides king is very restricted in its movements having to remain near the pawn to prevent it queening.

In fact black can also win by playing g6 when he can exchange the Q-side pawns down to a black pawn on g5 and white pawn on g4. As white has to remain close to the b pawn to stop it queening black can now move across to the q-side, pick up the g pawn and queen his g pawn. In this position it is very hard for black to go wrong and very easy for white.

Knowing when to draw (and when not to) is one of my tips in my "How to get to 2000" thread and this really is something that sorts out the men from the boys.
  8. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 10:26
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    No, this is refuted by 2...fxg5! 3.h5 gxh5! 4.f5 Kc6, and Black's King is in the 'square' of the pawn, so he still wins.
    Or that. Much better than what I said 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree