1. Joined
    18 Dec '11
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 02:58
    Would it be illegal in an OTB chess tournament (USCF tournament to be precise) to take your pieces, and rather than have them stand up normally, lay them down awkwardly? Not even saying my opponent would have to do it, too, just could I randomly lay them down on the squares?

I understand they could say "adjust" 16 times and put them back up, and maybe I could say "adjust" 16 more times and lay them back down. But is it legal?
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 05:41
    Originally posted by IQ
    Would it be illegal in an OTB chess tournament (USCF tournament to be precise) to take your pieces, and rather than have them stand up normally, lay them down awkwardly? Not even saying my opponent would have to do it, too, just could I randomly lay them down on the squares?

I understand they could say "adjust" 16 times and put them back up, and maybe I could say "adjust" 16 more times and lay them back down. But is it legal?
    It is just as legal as when I, as your opponent, pulled out my gun and shot you for wasting my time.
  3. Standard memberhempster
    she'll be right mate
    WYBMADIITY
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 09:21
    Originally posted by IQ

and what would the point of doing this be...?
  4. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 09:59
    Laying down your king is not a good idea.
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 18:40
    Originally posted by tvochess
    Laying down your king is not a good idea.
    Anytime my opponent accidently knocks his king over, I extend my hand and smile. 😀
  6. Joined
    18 Dec '11
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 00:44
    Haha, ok you got me there. Though actually a verbal "I resign" is required, but to be safe I would leave that one up.

A Tournament Director told me that the game would be forfeit best cause of USCF Rule 20 A. "Players shall participate in the spirit of fair play and good sportsmanship, . . "

I simply couldn't find any rule that says this is illegal, and took it as similar to "face your opponent to the sun, they'll make a blunder more often" used in old days.
  7. Joined
    18 Dec '11
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 00:491 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    It is just as legal as when I, as your opponent, pulled out my gun and shot you for wasting my time.
    But I wouldn't go to prison for it 😛
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 01:50
    Originally posted by IQ
    But I wouldn't go to prison for it 😛
    Neither would I.

I am that good. 😛
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 01:52
    Originally posted by IQ
    Haha, ok you got me there. Though actually a verbal "I resign" is required, but to be safe I would leave that one up.

A Tournament Director told me that the game would be forfeit best cause of USCF Rule 20 A. "Players shall participate in the spirit of fair play and good sportsmanship, . . "

I simply couldn't find any rule that says this is illegal, and too ...[text shortened]... to "face your opponent to the sun, they'll make a blunder more often" used in old days.
    You are incorrect, by the way, on the verbal requirement of "I resign".

That is absolutely not correct.
    The simple laying of the king on its side is all that is necessary.
    I have had opponents do just that in USCF rated tournaments too.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 02:24
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    You are incorrect, by the way, on the verbal requirement of "I resign".

That is absolutely not correct.
    The simple laying of the king on its side is all that is necessary.
    I have had opponents do just that in USCF rated tournaments too.
    USCF Rule 13B. Resignation

Saying I resign or tipping over the king are relatively clear ways to resign.
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 14:38
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    USCF Rule 13B. Resignation

Saying I resign or tipping over the king are relatively clear ways to resign.
    The key word is "or".

He had indicated you "must say I resign" which is not accurate, as you have concurred.
  12. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 16:16
    Here's how I envision the scenario playing out.

The OP lays down all of his pieces except for his king. (He doesn't want his opponent to misinterpret this as a resignation, after all.) Opponent then raises one leg of the table ever so slightly, and 15 of the OP's pieces roll everywhere. Opponent then complains to the TD that he moved 15 pieces in violation of the rules. TD forfeits the OP. 🙂
  13. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 19:09
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Here's how I envision the scenario playing out.

The OP lays down all of his pieces except for his king. (He doesn't want his opponent to misinterpret this as a resignation, after all.) Opponent then raises one leg of the table ever so slightly, and 15 of the OP's pieces roll everywhere. Opponent then complains to the TD that he moved 15 pieces in violation of the rules. TD forfeits the OP. 🙂
    Or you could just shoot him and wait for him to time out.
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 01:04
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Or you could just shoot him and wait for him to time out.
    In Florida, there is no...record... of this ever occurring.

The body of said player is usually deposited in a freshly dug hole out back, and a little bit of water is added to the hole.

When you dig a hole in Florida and add any amount of water to it, gators arrive shortly thereafter.

Gators never leave any evidence behind. And it's against the law to harm them.
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 13:45
    Originally posted by IQ
    Under the FIDE rules, it is officially illegal to be an annoying stool sample. (Rule 12.6 specifically, but I'm sure 12.1 could be brought to bear as well.) So yes, if you pulled that stunt in a serious tournament you'd be out before you could cry "Fischer".

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree