1. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    03 May '06 13:532 edits
    How do you get ready for an over the board tournament? What do you do on the day of the tournament?

I eat a light meal, stop playing or studying chess at least 4 hours prior to the event, have a cup of coffee a few hours beforehand (to wake me and my mind up), and just try to relax...usually by just sitting around and listening to music without words (classical or jazz).
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    03 May '06 14:22
    Originally posted by pinkthunder
    How do you get ready for an over the board tournament? What do you do on the day of the tournament?

I eat a light meal, stop playing or studying chess at least 4 hours prior to the event, have a cup of coffee a few hours beforehand (to wake me and my mind up), and just try to relax...usually by just sitting around and listening to music without words (classical or jazz).
    That varies. Most tournaments start early around here (and I arrive early), so I get up between 6 & 7 shower, eat pankakes and sausage while reading the paper, then head to the site.

I register/check-in play a blitz game or two, then do 5-10 puzzles. At this point I usually have about 1 hour - 45 minutes before the first round. At this point, I either chat with people, read a book, or take a catnap.
  3. back in business
    Moves
    03 May '06 14:221 edit
    usually nothing. but if it is really important tournament with good prizes then I:

-sleep well (at least 9 hours)
    -practice tactics
    -eat cornflakes on the morning
    -have a stroll just before the first round
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    03 May '06 15:54
    The day of the tournament and the day before: Do some tactic puzzles, don't get drunk, go over your openings.

If you know who you are playing, which opening he plays, what color you have then prepare to play that opening. I find I get good results when i know what i'm suppose to be doing in the opening.
  5. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 May '06 16:17

Be happy, have fun, dont worry.

No amount of last min study is going to improve your game.

On the music note iv found that trance music can be quite a good way to get into the happy confident mind set that OTB tournaments require.
  6. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    04 May '06 17:04
    Originally posted by Bedlam

On the music note iv found that trance music can be quite a good way to get into the happy confident mind set that OTB tournaments require.
    I agree with you mostly 😉 just on the music i find that metal or hardrock while driving to the tournament sets my mind better 😉 especially playing kill them all from metallica, lol
  7. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    04 May '06 18:501 edit
    Originally posted by Bedlam

I agree. No amount of last minute study will help your game.

Humor is a good way to loosen up and get into a happy/confident mode. Maybe I'll watch the movie 'Dumb and Dumber' before the next one.
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 May '06 19:05
    A good night's sleep is essential. I don't like to arrive too early. If I have to because the venue is far away then I go for a walk and get back just before the first round. Between rounds I like to get some fresh air. I never analyse games or play any off-hand games as I've found this tires me out for the later rounds. If you are still in contention in the last few rounds, take advantage of the fact that you are (hopefully!) better rested than your opponent and drag him into the deeper waters of a long drawn out game where he will hopefully blunder.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    04 May '06 19:22

You might be advised to cut out the coffee, caffeine is a cardiac stimulant and although it'll wake you up in the short term you'll get an energy crash later.
  10. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    05 May '06 05:06
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    You might be advised to cut out the coffee, caffeine is a cardiac stimulant and although it'll wake you up in the short term you'll get an energy crash later.
    There is the "energy crash later" issue. On the other hand, it's been demonstrated that people perform better mentally and physically if they are stoked on caffeine. The brain just works better.
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 May '06 05:36
    Originally posted by basso
    There is the "energy crash later" issue. On the other hand, it's been demonstrated that people perform better mentally and physically if they are stoked on caffeine. The brain just works better.
    I don't know if better is the right word. Sure, it makes you feel more energetic and so on but in complex mental tasks caffeine use doesn't seem to provide any benefit.
  12. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    05 May '06 16:07
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    cut out coffee 😕😕😕😕😕😕

but then i would not even be able to get to the tournament at all......
  13. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    07 May '06 23:481 edit
    These tips on preparing for the SAT test can probably help prepare for a chess tournament. Only the things that compare to helping with chess matches have been included below.

From: http://www.thehighschoolgraduate.com/editorial/USsatprep.htm

Preparing for the SATs

So, you’re thinking about taking the SAT or the PSAT, but you’re not sure you’re ready. Naturally, you’re nervous. What to do?

Don’t panic. The following tips can help you can take control during the days leading up to the test, manage the pressure, and prepare for a successful test taking experience.

*Prepare*
    Take practice tests.
    Taking stock of your strong and lousy subjects lets you know what you don’t have to worry about and those areas that will demand more studying.

Now, face your weak spots... and face them again. Practice the toughest material. Master it and congratulate yourself when you do.

*Plan*
    The best test takers do less and less preparation work as test day approaches. Ease off your study schedule and take it easy on yourself. You want to be relaxed and ready on the day of the SAT. Give yourself some time off, especially the night before the exam.

To avoid last minute tension, drive to the test location a day or two before the test and check it out. Map out the easiest, quickest way to get there. You will have great peace of mind if you know that all the little details are completely in your control before the day of the exam.

Finally, don’t practice on the day before the test. Go to a movie, exercise, and get plenty of rest. It’s in your best interest to save up your physical and mental resources for test day.

*Relax*
    Relaxation and stress control are critical to successful test taking.

*Exercise*
    Physical exercise is a great way to stimulate both your mind and body and improve your ability to think and concentrate. Even a little exercise helps reduce the stress and frustration associated with studying for an important exam like the SAT.

Exercise is a natural high. Unfortunately, some students resort to less-than-natural stimulants to try to enhance their performance on the SAT, but stimulants make it hard to retain information. You may stay awake, but you probably won’t remember very much. Mild stimulants such as coffee and colas can sometimes help since they keep you awake and alert. On the downside, though, they can lead to agitation, restlessness, and sleeplessness. You know your tolerance for caffeine best.

*Succeed*
    Keep breathing! Weak test takers tend to share one major flaw: they forget to breathe properly as the test proceeds. They start holding their breath without realizing it or they breathe irregularly. Improper breathing hurts confidence and accuracy. Just as importantly, it blocks clear thinking.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 May '06 12:03
    Originally posted by basso
    I don't think that stimulants should form part of your preparation for anything, especially a chess tournament. However, if coffee is part of your daily morning ritual then you don't want to break that habit on the day you are about to play, and, depending on how long the time controls are, a break from the table and a coffee two thirds of the way through the session might be a good idea. If you are stoked on coffee then you will not be able to concentrate and the best that you can hope for is that you put off your opponent by fidgiting incessantly.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree