1. Joined
    27 Jul '07
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 17:132 edits
    I came across this game recently -

Game 4670849

where black had resigned - surely if black promotes his pawn to a queen, forcing white to intervene with his N to e5(or lose his pawn) then black moves his King up, white queens his pawn and black takes the Knight, surely that would force a draw?

'edit' looking at the board the wrong way up - thought black was at the bottom. I am dumb!😳
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '08
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 18:41
    Originally posted by matzusdog

Game 4670849

where black had resigned - surely if black promotes his pawn to a queen, forcing white to intervene with his N to e5(or lose his pawn) then black moves his King up, white queens his pawn and black takes the Knight, surely that would force a draw?

'edit' looking at the board the wrong way up - thought black was at the bottom. I am dumb!😳
    That's OK. Everyone makes mistakes. It's just that your mistake was colossal.
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 18:46
    Originally posted by Bifrost
    That's OK. Everyone makes mistakes. It's just that your mistake was colossal.
    Maybe he's merely Bidirectional.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '08
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 18:47
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Maybe he's merely Bidirectional.
    How much did that dictionary cost then? 😉
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 19:03
    Originally posted by matzusdog

Game 4670849

I looked at the position for more than 1 minute supposing the same thing. the problem is, even if the board were upside down, black was queening with check, so there was no way white could win this game. (and that's why I stared at it so long).
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 19:48
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    I looked at the position for more than 1 minute supposing the same thing. the problem is, even if the board were upside down, black was queening with check, so there was no way white could win this game. (and that's why I stared at it so long).
    Yeah, you just have to know the conventions of the site's diagrams, or else pay attention to the diagram coordinates. But I think it's easier to mess up the direction if there aren't many pieces left on the board, and if the kings are on the opposite side of each other (Black king in White's territory, White king in Black's territory). Until you can mentally sort out the correct directions, you subconsciously tend to go with the directions associated with normal king placement.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 19:51
    Still... Why did Black resign?
  8. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 20:061 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Still... Why did Black resign?
    It's a tablebase win for White. Maybe Black saw that if it becomes a race to queen, then after Black queens the pawn, White plays Qh7+ with a winning skewer. I guess to prevent that from happening, Black has to waste a tempo by moving his king. But in that case, it still looks complicated to me.

Edit - Ah, OK, if Black wastes a tempo to move his king, then we have a black knight's pawn on the seventh rank versus a queen, which I think is a textbook win for White.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 20:105 edits
    It's a tablebase win for White. Maybe Black saw that if it becomes a race to queen, then after Black queens the pawn, White plays Qh7+ with a winning skewer. I guess to prevent that from happening, Black has to waste a tempo by moving his king. But in that case, it still looks complicated to me.
    Argh, I had misplaced the white king by accident in the analyze board and it blocked the skewer. Thanks.

Edit - Sorry, I'm probably having a chess block, but how can white win if black wastes a tempo by moving its king and hovering around the pawn, menacing the promotion?

Edit - Oh, I see. You push the black king to the corner and when it is in front of the pawn you approach with the white king until mate. Is that it?
  10. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 20:39
    Edit - Oh, I see. You push the black king between to the corner and when it is in front of the pawn you approach with the white king until mate. Is that it?
    Yep, that's the idea. I think it works for the king file, queen file, and knight file, but not for the rook file or bishop file, where Black has tricks to draw.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 20:47
    Yep, that's the idea. I think it works for the king file, queen file, and knight file, but not for the rook file or bishop file, where Black has tricks to draw.
    Thanks, MR.
  12. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 20:57
    Thanks, MR.
    Your welcome.

By the way, my last post wasn't entirely accurate. If the pawn is on a rook or bishop file, the side with the pawn can SOMETIMES draw, depending on how far away the enemy king is. I've forgotten the details - I guess I need to pull out Purdy's "Guide to Good Chess" to refresh my memory.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree