1. Joined
    15 Feb '13
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 01:14
    Hi all,

I just signed up and my rating is listed as 1200! While I have played chess for many years (and read about it a fair amount), that is an optimistic score, I am sure. How do I change it to a more realistic value?

PS I'm new to online chess. I started an open invite game and made the first move, I hope that's how to get the ball rolling...

--

cheers
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 01:19
    The 1200 starting point means that almost everyone starts out either underrated or overrated, and sometimes by a substantial amount.

The FAQ can answer much of your question in substantive ways, but the short answer is that, as you play, your rating will naturally gravitate to your current level. Good luck!
  3. Joined
    15 Feb '13
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 01:29
    Exploring the site now and I'm impressed. I already have a game going and I really like how you can get loads of information on your opponent's stats...also the pgn games in posts and the ability to watch public games is neat. I'm going to like it here.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 03:52
    Originally posted by Archive
    Exploring the site now and I'm impressed. I already have a game going and I really like how you can get loads of information on your opponent's stats...also the pgn games in posts and the ability to watch public games is neat. I'm going to like it here.
    Don't forget to use the RHP analyze board to plan out your moves before actually submitting your move on the RHP main board. There are many references on the openings that is good to check out, such as the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_opening
  5. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 15:21
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Don't forget to use the RHP analyze board to plan out your moves before actually submitting your move on the RHP main board. There are many references on the openings that is good to check out, such as the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_opening
    And also don't forget to ignore everything our resident troll (RJ) says

The world would be a better place

Good luck and have fun!
  6. Joined
    15 Feb '13
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 17:32
    I'm confused about using analysis before submitting a move. If both players engage in that activity isn't that the same as computer playing computer? I have enough software, I want a human opponent...
  7. Joined
    15 Aug '12
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 17:44
    I'm confused about using analysis before submitting a move. If both players engage in that activity isn't that the same as computer playing computer? I have enough software, I want a human opponent...
    Not if the analysis is your own, but it cannot be a 3rd party's analysis (i.e. another human, a computer, or endgame tablebase). The analyze board function just lets you manipulate the pieces on the board so you can examine a sequence of moves. I wouldn't advise using it if you are using RHP for OTB practice-you need to learn to be able to visualize the moves without actually moving the pieces.
  8. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 17:56
    Hi all,

I just signed up and my rating is listed as 1200! While I have played chess for many years (and read about it a fair amount), that is an optimistic score, I am sure. How do I change it to a more realistic value?

PS I'm new to online chess. I started an open invite game and made the first move, I hope that's how to get the ball rolling...

--

cheers
    The rating system used by this site was developed by Arpad Elo many years ago. It is a statistical system that deals only in your chance of beating another opponent within the same pool of players. If you play enough games you will eventually reach a rating that reflects the likelihood of you beating other rated players within this player pool. Unfortunately, it will say absolutely nothing about your ability elsewhere.
  9. Joined
    15 Feb '13
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 18:18
    Thanks for the responses guys.

Some more info...I rarely get to play chess with humans (been over 5 years since I could find someone to play in real life) so I mostly play with the following programs:

Chessmaster GameBoy Color (top notch, from power on to game in 15 seconds)
    Chessmaster the Art of Learning (don't like how the franchise moved backwards)
    Virtual Kasparov GBA (have beat all opponents inclucing K, but took years to do it...great game)
    Clubhouse Games NDS (poor ai, almost random movemnent at times, seems to lack opening play)
    Chessmaster 5000 PC (can't get to work on xp)
    Sierra Online Power Chess (loved this game, wish I could find it again)

I also have a ton of old DOS chess programs, my favorites being Kasparov'e Gambit and Mephisto Genius Chess.

Anyways, I look forward to many years of playing against humans here!

peace all,
    r.kyve
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 19:211 edit
    Thanks for the responses guys.

Some more info...I rarely get to play chess with humans (been over 5 years since I could find someone to play in real life) so I mostly play with the following programs:

Chessmaster GameBoy Color (top notch, from power on to game in 15 seconds)
    Chessmaster the Art of Learning (don't like how the franchise moved backwar
    Anyways, I look forward to many years of playing against humans here!

peace all,
    r.kyve
    Look on the USCF website or google chess clubs for your area and you may find one close enough that you can go to their meeting site and play against real humans in person.
  11. Joined
    15 Feb '13
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 20:27
    Look on the USCF website or google chess clubs for your area and you may find one close enough that you can go to their meeting site and play against real humans in person.
    Thanks I'll check it out...but I live in a very remote area and the closest town (tiny and over an hour drive) has nobody interested in chess. I'm glad I got satellite internet and can now finally play online!

Years ago I have played many, many games against people in person...
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 20:38
    Thanks I'll check it out...but I live in a very remote area and the closest town (tiny and over an hour drive) has nobody interested in chess. I'm glad I got satellite internet and can now finally play online!

Years ago I have played many, many games against people in person...
    You don't live in Alaska do you?
  13. Joined
    15 Feb '13
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 21:50
    You don't live in Alaska do you?
    Haha, there would probably be more folks interested in chess around them parts...I'm a southwestern hermit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree