1. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 21:49
    it's always far more difficult to play against agressive players, even if they're a lot weaker. a 'passive' weaker player is like a roadkill waiting to be repeatedly ran over.

always be as agressive as safely possible. take no unnecessary risks, but don't give an inch for free. make your opponent pay with blood for every concession he forces you to make.
  2. Joined
    17 Apr '07
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 21:54
    Originally posted by wormwood
    it's always far more difficult to play against agressive players, even if they're a lot weaker. a 'passive' weaker player is like a roadkill waiting to be repeatedly ran over.

always be as agressive as safely possible. take no unnecessary risks, but don't give an inch for free. make your opponent pay with blood for every concession he forces you to make.
    So I guess (forgive my lack of experience) that just charging across the gates with a knight and taking out a king side pawn would never serve a greater purpose other than losing a valued piece? Or is there ever any real stratigical benefit to such moves?
  3. washington
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 21:59
    when in passive mode you are protecting and your opponent can go about the game as he pleases and you dont get a say in where the game goes. if you are making the controling moves agressive moves attacking pieces and forcing your opponent to defend his base your pieces are put in good places to start an attack. use your force to create threats and buckle down on a good position then grind it out.
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 22:031 edit
    Originally posted by Dudermooner
    So I guess (forgive my lack of experience) that just charging across the gates with a knight and taking out a king side pawn would never serve a greater purpose other than losing a valued piece? Or is there ever any real stratigical benefit to such moves?
    well, if you can snatch the pawn for free, a pawn is a pawn is a pawn. but it might also distract you from something else that desperately needs your attention. like getting behind in development, or stopping a permanent weakness from occurring. getting behind in development is often the root of all your subsequent problems.

if a strong player 'gives' you a pawn or more, check extremely well whether it's safe to take. it almost never is free.
  5. Joined
    04 Apr '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 22:07
    Always read the fine print.
  6. Joined
    17 Apr '07
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 22:14
    It's almost a devious mind that excels in the game of chess is it not?

I'm really enjoying the diverse personalities at play. So much food for thought I'm afraid I may have to put my brain on a diet!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree