1. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 18:07
    On another site someone promoted a pawn to a knight which was subsequently captured. The system showed the knight as being captured. The player thought it should show the pawn as being captured. I think it should show both as being captured.

Thoughts? How are things handled here? tia
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 19:39
    The pawn gets promoted before the opponent's next turn. This means that it should show the pawn turning into a knight and a knight getting captured.

At least that's how I see it.
  3. Milwaukee, WI
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 22:23
    Doesn't matter what it shows as being captured; all that matters is what's left ON the board.
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '11
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 23:532 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    The pawn gets promoted before the opponent's next turn. This means that it should show the pawn turning into a knight and a knight getting captured.

At least that's how I see it.
    I've just checked one of my games where an underpromotion happened. Upon underpromotion RHP does this (using underpromotion to bishop as an example):

If both bishops have already been captured one of the bishops in the captured piece sections disappears and a pawn appears, as though it were taken, upon recapture the bishop is retured to the captured piece section and the pawn still remains.
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '11
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 23:551 edit
    Originally posted by Bebop5
    Doesn't matter what it shows as being captured; all that matters is what's left ON the board.
    Also true...But what's the harm in being accurate with underpromotion dictation?
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    18 Nov '11 02:19
    Ding ding ding
    We have a winner!!
  7. Joined
    08 Sep '09
    Moves
    28 Nov '11 13:14
    As a not-terribly-good player, I can attest to this. I recently threw away an OTB game thinking I had a material advantage... when in fact my opponent had just put one of my captured pieces behind the clock where I couldn't see it.
  8. e4
    Moves
    28 Nov '11 14:18
    Hi Robin.

This OTB game we must see - better still PM me the details and it may
    (may = certainly will) appear in the next blog.

And don't forget I'm only a 10 minute bus ride away from your club.
    Infact I may pop along to get a picture to go along with the game.
    Your next home game is on the 7th December (play the Pearl Harbour Attack).
    I'll be there with the RHP camera.

I'll build the whole blog around you and your game.
    Let your error be the guiding light for thousands of others.
    Let your moment of misery and total despair be a beacon that others can point to.
  9. e4
    Moves
    28 Nov '11 15:00
    And Robin has been in touch, that is the next Blog sorted.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree