1. Right Here!!!
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 05:45
    Can a pawn be promoted to a light squared bishop when the board already has a light squared bishop?
  2. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 05:46
    Yes
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 05:54
    You can't promote to a Queen, and, oddly, you cannot promote to a pawn. Now, you might ask why anyone might choose to not promote, and that would be a reasonable question, but you can't.
  4. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 05:55
    Originally posted by coquette
    You can't promote to a Queen, and, oddly, you cannot promote to a pawn. Now, you might ask why anyone might choose to not promote, and that would be a reasonable question, but you can't.
    why no queen?
  5. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 06:001 edit
    I suppose you meant that you can't promote to a king, but slipped in "queen" without thinking. You can, of course, promote to a queen - (if you think otherwise, I'd be very happy to play a game! 🙂
  6. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 06:13
    If you move the pawn to a promoting square and by doing that you give discovered checkmate, then the game would be over before you select a promotion piece (at least OTB, not sure about here on RHP).
  7. Right Here!!!
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 06:25
    Originally posted by irontigran
    why no queen?
    Sure, I can...

While analyzing one of the games, I realized that one of the pawns, if promoted as bishop, puts a disclosed check on King and mates.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 07:01
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    If you move the pawn to a promoting square and by doing that you give discovered checkmate, then the game would be over before you select a promotion piece (at least OTB, not sure about here on RHP).
    Not officially, AFAICT. Rule 4.6.c states that the move is completed only when the new piece has been placed; and 5.1 states that checkmating is only valid after a legal move, not half-move.

Looking this up, I noted a rule that's new to me: it is now forbidden for anybody to use a mobile phone in the playing venues of FIDE chess games. I applaud this rule 😏.

Richard
  9. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 09:13
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Not officially, AFAICT. Rule 4.6.c states that the move is completed only when the new piece has been placed; and 5.1 states that checkmating is only valid after a legal move, not half-move.

Looking this up, I noted a rule that's new to me: it is now forbidden for anybody to use a mobile phone in the playing venues of FIDE chess games. I applaud this rule 😏.

Richard
    t
    Forgive me my ignorance, but what is AFAICT?

Here is what the FIDE laws of chess say about checkmate:

"Article 5: The completion of the game
    5.1 The game is won by the player who has checkmated his opponent`s king. This immediately ends the game, provided that the move producing the checkmate position was a legal move."

Now, even touching the pawn would suffice in my opinion, provided that moving that pawn (with the intention of promoting it) is a legal move. The promotion itself does not have to be done since there is a legal move AND the fact of moving already checkmates, thereby iimmediately ending the game (in the case of discovered checkmate, of course). Nowhere it says that despite all this the move has to be fully completed. Anyway, this is just playing with words (as I was only responding to the initial posters' question).

On the mobile phone thing, I also applaude the rule. In Belgium, most (if not all) clubs have meanwhile adopted this rule even for non-FIDE games.
  10. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 10:04
    AFAICT = as far as I can tell

well, at least as far as I can tell
  11. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 11:20

5.1 The game is won by the player who has checkmated his opponent`s king. This immediately ends the game, provided that the move producing the checkmate position was a legal move."

Now, even touching the p ...[text shortened]... In Belgium, most (if not all) clubs have meanwhile adopted this rule even for non-FIDE games.
    My guess is that AFAICT = As Far As I Can Tell.

Well, I'll throw my two cents in on this one. After reading FIDE Articles 3.7.e, 4.6.c, and 5.1.a, it seems clear to me that the promoted pawn has to be removed from the board, and the player's hand has to place the new piece on the promotion square before the move is considered to be legal, and checkmate doesn't happen until the move is legal. So I side with Shallow Blue's interpretation of this issue.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 11:421 edit

Now, even touching the pawn would suffice in my opinion, provided that moving that pawn (with the intention of promoting it) is a le ...[text shortened]... his is just playing with words (as I was only responding to the initial posters' question).
    If my opponent moved his pawn from the 7th to the 8th rank, producing a checkmate, then I would protest. The move is not completed before he decided into what piece he would promote it to.

Look at this diagram:

After the white moves the pawn to f8Q+ it is not a mate, but f8N+ certainly is.

So in this case the promotion to a certain piece is important. In any case it's not complete before he has decided the piece.
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 11:45

Now, even touching the p ...[text shortened]... eckmate, of course). Nowhere it says that despite all this the move has to be fully completed.
    As others said, AFAICT = as far as I can tell.

And no, it clearly says "the move... was a legal move", in other words, it has to be completed; and (this is why I mentioned 4.6c) a promoting move is not completed until the promoted piece has been replaced.

Richard
  14. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 19:35
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If my opponent moved his pawn from the 7th to the 8th rank, producing a checkmate, then I would protest. The move is not completed before he decided into what piece he would promote it to.

Look at this diagram:
    [fen]6rr/R4P1k/1R6/8/8/8/8/K7[/fen]

After the white moves the pawn to f8Q+ it is not a mate, but f8N+ certainly is.

So in this case the ...[text shortened]... to a certain piece is important. In any case it's not complete before he has decided the piece.
    Of course, in this case it matters how the promotion is done. But I was referring to positions where it doesn't matter. For instance:

My interpretation is that touching the pawn on b7 is enough to end the game, according to FIDE rules.
  15. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 19:391 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    As others said, AFAICT = as far as I can tell.

And no, it clearly says "the move... was a legal move", in other words, it has to be completed; and (this is why I mentioned 4.6c) a promoting move is not completed until the promoted piece has been replaced.

Richard
    see my example above. As soon as white touches the pawn, the pawn will disappear from b7 and the resulting position is checkmate, no matter what follows. I don't see the stipulation that the move must be completed (because there is no such stipulation), it is enough that the move will be legal and that the position is checkmate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree