Moves
    12 Oct '08 14:54
    agreed
  2. Joined
    23 May '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '08 15:08
    Agreed.

Is the understanding that our opponent doesn't read the thread? Not that i doubt our opponents integrity, but it is far from ideal and in future if this proves popular and we want to do more of these games, what about a club designed to be a correspondance club-playing high rated opponents in the knowledge their thoughts cannot be read?
  3. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    12 Oct '08 15:14
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I agree.

If we are supposed to vote for moves, then we vote. The person counting the votes should not be making comments on moves before the voting begins.

I think this all started with the multiple choice. It is a form of suggesting the acceptable moves, which leads to this kind of thing.
    What's wrong with this? If anyone can comment then anyone can comment. Afterall we have fun over this non rated game. What is your problem?
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '08 15:29
    I think I explained my point in what you quoted.
  5. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    12 Oct '08 15:45
    Agreed
  6. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    12 Oct '08 15:53
    Well, in this position I always play g6, but I guess that comes out to the same position most of the time, so I'll just say Agreed. However, I think this should be the last time we do the "vote for voting" thing.
  7. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '08 15:56
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    I think this should be the last time we do the "vote for voting" thing.
    Agreed.
  8. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '08 16:251 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I agree.

If we are supposed to vote for moves, then we vote. The person counting the votes should not be making comments on moves before the voting begins.

I think this all started with the multiple choice. It is a form of suggesting the acceptable moves, which leads to this kind of thing.
    There is a reason I "skipped" the voting.

On move one, the group voted for 1. ... c5 which is THE MOST POPULAR defense to 1. e4. On move two, the group voted for 2. ... d6, which is THE MOST POPULAR defense to 2.Nf3. This is seen more than anything else in Grandmaster chess. If the group is rattling out the most theoretical lines in all of chess, why would it pick a rare uncommon sideline on moves 3 and 4? I was trying to skip a 3 day vote between a move which is used 90 % of the time and a move which is seldom seen, (since even when there were 5+ choices the main line was chosen). I won't do it again, sorry.
  9. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '08 16:32
    I also made it multiple choice to make it easier for me to tell what people were voting. Each time I put feel free to add a letter. It is more trouble to read out paragraphs of text trying to settle on what someone is saying, than it is to simply see a move or a letter for a vote. This isn't exactly easy for me. Someone said I'm swaying votes. If I'm swaying votes why hasn't a single move I've voted for won. I watched a post say 2. ... d6 is best, 2. ... Nc6 is second best. Look how many votes 2. ... d6 got in a row after that. Was it because of that? No one can say. I said at the begin that it wasn't possible to make everyone happy.
    I'm sorry guys/gals. I'm doing the best I can.
  10. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '08 16:331 edit
    I'll make a new thread and start this move over.

Please see Thread 101914.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '08 16:46
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    I'll make a new thread and start this move over.
    what is this a thread about the moves or a thread about personal preferences. Let Paul get on with the administration of the game without having to worry about all your childish personal preferences, 'oh i don't like that he advocates the most popular and most probable move', then don't vote for it, grow up for goodness sake, 'oh i don't like that he lists multiple choices', then don't vote for any of them, you have free will, you are not under duress are you? he has been kind enough to give this game his undivided attention, let us respect that and not burden him with anymore of these rather childish requests!
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '08 16:47
    Just to keep this discussion in this thread, I have little doubt the majority will follow what you think it will follow. I just don't see the point in having a vote thread based on a vote already being decided. If you want to follow the book moves up to a certain point, then vote, that's fine. But if you want to have a vote, then have a vote, which is what you've done. Thanks.
  13. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '08 16:52
    If we have one legal move, I'll let you vote on it. 🙂
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '08 17:171 edit
    As I said, do one or the other. I have no problem with a vote or just going with the obvious move until there is a need for a vote.

One other thing, I don't appreciate condescending remarks.
  15. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '08 17:39
    One other thing, I don't appreciate condescending remarks.

Thanks for editing that in. It wasn't there the first time. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree